Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to synchronize laptop and desktop .pst files (2003 (SP2))

Hi-
    Anyone have a bullet proof solution to staying sane with a laptop and desktop update/sync situation.

so far, the only thing that works for me is to remember to copy the desktop .pst file to the laptop before I take off, and then to copy it back when i return. I tried a piece of software called EZoutlook but it was really not stable the way I used it (putting .pst on a flash drive and then syncing on the desktop). I don't have file sharing set up, so this was all I could do, but I'm willing to try setting up the file share if I can get some encouragement here that it will work and be at least as stable as syncing my palm pilot !!!).

the lure of really doing a real sync as opposed to copying files is trememdous!!!

thanks for any encouragement or discouragement.

tom

Thanks

Re: How to synchronize laptop and desktop .pst fil

Tom,
    I am almost in the same boat, however I am set up with file sharing on a SOHO network. There is a program that I found posted in here that you can download from Microsoft called SyncToy. I have been using it for a while now and it works great. You can set it up to sync your folders either manually (which is the easiest), or on a schedule. The schedule takes a bit of work to configure, but works great.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

John-

That sounds great. I've seen that sync toy offered but it sounded like it was for PDA syncing and the Palm software with outlook works too great to want to tinker with.

Does it really "sync" as opposed to just finding the latest file and replacing the older one? Can you add and delete infor on both .pst files and then have them match up like palm desktop? If so, do you name the two files differently or the same?

thanks,

tom

Thanks

Yes, it does. Actually there are 5 options. Synchronize, Echo, Subscribe, Contribute, and Combine. These all do different sync processes and move files in different directions (left to right, or right to left, or both.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just what I hoped to hear!!! The EZoutlooksync has a lot of promise, but I feel a lot safer with an MS product. Off to create a couple of dummy .pst files to test it with.

Many thanks

tom

Thanks

The Sync Toy although not supported by MS, if offered by them on their "Toys" page. I am of the same opinion about trust, "almost". When it was on their (MS's) page, its ok to use I.M.H.O.
    Thanks John