4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XLstart locations & files (2003)

Dear Loungers,

I have two very simple templates (book & sheet) that I want to be used as global templates. I have done this successfully in the past by adding them to the location Cocuments and SettingsUser NameApplication DataMicrosoftExcelXLSTART. I have a situation where my project has a number of laptops and desktops used by various people. To avoid having to copy files every time a new user uses a machine for the first time I want to load the files to a generally accessible location e.g. C:ProjectNameExcelStartup. I have done this and altered the parameter on the Tools, Options, General Tab to say load from that location on start, however I don't get the expected results.

The templates only change the typeface point size and number of tabs which is no big deal but more importantly they have headers and footers which are really important since users are notoriously bad at putting file references, dates and page numbers on their files. The files are definitely templates.

What could I be doing wrong?

Thank you................... liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XLstart locations & files (2003)

Your approach looks OK, it should work. Keep in mind that you'll have to quit and restart Excel after setting "At startup, open all files in", the setting by its nature doesn't become effective immediately.
    Also, check very carefully that the path you entered corresponds exactly to the folder containing Book.xls and Sheet.xlt.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

On checking, as you suspected, the name entered was wrong - with an extra embedded space - so all fine now, thank you....liz

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Alternatively, if you create an XLSTART folder below the general Office folder and put your templates there, all users will get the files from that folder. No need to change the "At startup, open all files in" setting.

Path (example, depends on setup details)

crogram filesmicrosoft officeofficexlstart
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association