Star Lounger
    Newtown, Pennsylvania, USA

Cannot save file

I'm using Word 97/SR-2. I have a particular file that I cannot save using any of the normal menu choices. Each time I try I get the following:

WINWORD caused an invalid page fault in
    module MSO97.DLL at 0177:307dba4b...

I finally was able to get the file saved by selecting all and pasting into a new document. While I managed to find a solution, I was wondering if anyone had any insight to what could have caused this? The file does have several graphic images in it if that means anything. TIA. File is too big to post, otherwise I would.

Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA

Re: Cannot save file

The file is probably corrupt. There are a number of ways for that to happen and large graphics can contribute. Primary culprits seem to be having fast saves turned on or using master documents.

See <A target="_blank" HREF=> Document Corruption</A> for more on causes and solutions. Generally when copying from a corrupt document, you will want to copy everything except the last paragraph mark.

<A target="_blank" HREF=></A> Older version of Document Corruption chapter until site is running - except that the editor keeps altering the url. The name of the page is document% 20corruption.htm and the editor keeps converting the % 20 to a space (which it is) and the space doesn't work when you click on it. There should be no space between the % and the 20, either.

*** Edited Geoff W %20 added to correct URL ***
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin