Lounger
    Thanks

pdf (Access 2000/ windows xp)

Hello all,
    I have a question concerning .pdf files and hyperlinks. I have a folder that of course resides in a directory on a server, and this folder contains a bunch of application data in .pdf format. Now i would like to have a field in my database for this application data and when the user performs a query, the queried table will have this application data column. Then i would like it if the user would be able to click on the application data field and have adobe open to view the selected file. I am not sure that a hyperlink will work because the files: 1) reside on a server , 2) they are not in any of the office suite formats and the info is not on an Acces form or report. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: pdf (Access 2000/ windows xp)

You could put a hyperlink field in your table, and insert links to the .pdf files in this field. As long as the user has a PDF viewer such as Adobe Reader installed, clicking the hyperlink will automatically open the .pdf file in the viewer. This will also work from a form bound to the table, but not from a report, since the contents of a report are not interactive.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    Thanks as always for the prompt reply. Will it work if the record is from a queried table. I have done exactly what you said I put the path to the file in the hyperlink field(ApplicationData) and when I click on it, it seems as though Adobe wants to come up but never does. The path is similar to: ServershareApplication Data142.pdf
    Is my path invalid? Again any assistance is very much appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Obviously, I cannot tell whether your path is invalid or not. I assume that you have tested the spelling carefully.
    You could try the following:
    <UL><LI>Activate the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11)
    <LI>Activate the Immediate window (Ctrl+G)
    <LI>Type

Application.FollowHyperlink "ServershareApplication Data142.pdf"

<LI>Press Enter[/list]If the file is opened, the path is correct and your system knows how to open a .pdf file. If not, there is something wrong.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    When I type the code into the immediate window i get a runtime error message '490'. which has to do something with virtual memory running low. I am sure that the path is correct, but again when i click on it nothing happens. Do you know if this is a windows problem or an access problem? The fact that when i run the line of code you provided to me in the immediate window it causes virtual memory to run low makes it seem like there is a problem with windows opening Acrobat. Just so you know i am running Acrobat Pro 7.0 if it makes any difference. Any help you provide is appreciated greatly.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Mickey, I am sure you have already done this but have you open up one of the PDF's outside of access...is there a difference in performance then?
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have a lot of applications open simultaneously?
    Does the problem persist if you restart your PC and only start Access?

Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry about the delay, Yes when I open up adobe and then close it I have no problems with the link opening up adobe to read the file. But if I restart and then go into access and click on a link to adobe it wont open. Any assistance is very much appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

How much memory (RAM) does your PC have? And how much virtual memory (right-click My Computer, select Properties, activate the Advanced tab, click Settings in the Performance section, activate the Advanced tab)?

Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for the reply,
    372MB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That is not very much these days. In my experience, you need 512 MB or more to run Windows XP and multiple applications. Depending on what other applications you have running apart from Access, trying to open a .pdf file might well cause problems. If possible, try to expand RAM to 512 MB at least.

Lounger
    Thanks

Mr V,
    Why would lack of RAM cause Adobe Acrobat not to open when a hyperlink is clicked.? I get no response whatsoever. If there was a problem with memory wouldnt I get some kind of error message or at worst my system crash.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I thought the mention of runtime error message '490' pointed in the direction of a lack of resources. I'm afraid I have no other suggestions or explanations.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This may help.

The below sight has a program, that when you load Adobe Reader, all of Adobe Reader does not load. Your documents will load quickly.

I was able to use it on 256mg machine.

Nice part its' free.

http://www.acropdf.com/
    threecrow

Don&#39;t make excuses. It&#39;s what you do, not why you didn&#39;t.