New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2002 - Blank Incoming Text Email

Here's one for the vaunted WOPR Lounge:

I am running Office XP Professional on a Windows 98 SE computer (I call SuperBox). Basic specs: Clean install on newly minted drive (complete system specs below). Install went fine, then copied over my current PST from other drive & went to work using Outlook 2002. It took me less than 4 hours to notice that many (but not all) text-formatted emails come in with no subject, no body, and a size of 2k.
    BUT... any HTML mail arrives just the way it should.

This is now -4 days later- driving me to distraction! Does anyone have any clue as to the problem here? I can find no mention of the issue in Microsoft's Knowledge Base... tho' that doesn't mean much, since successfully searching that behemoth is similar to trying to find a needle in a haystack - in a field FULL of identical haystacks.

I find one reference to a similar issue here in the Lounge, but it has no resolution.

Helllllllllllp!!!
    ===============
    Detailed Specs:
    P-III 933 / 768Mb RAM / Win98 SE / IE6.00.2462.0000
    Clean OS and Office XP install on new HD. Windows Update shows all patches, etc are current. Norton Antivirus 2001 & ZoneAlarm 2.6 protecting system from nasties. Virus scan shows no infections, same for trojan scan.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2002 - Blank Incoming Text Email

Just to verify that it's all text e-mail, send a test e-mail to yourself in text only format. I'm checking the KB, but haven't found anything yet...
    Karen

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nothing specific to your issue in the KB. A couple articles which may help are and <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q287/6/84.ASP> KB Q287684 . The second one discusses the interconnectivity of OL and OL Express. I felt it may be germane due to the text only format of many news services...
    Karen

New Lounger
    Thanks

I got the answer!

It actually involves IE6, not Outlook... though MS implies that ALL versions of Outlook Express & Outlook are affected. The patch is called:

"Internet Explorer 6 Public Preview Blank E-mail Update", and is available from the MS Download center.

(Choose Internet Explorer 6 Public Prewiew from the product list to get the download link)

This being Microsoft there is no explanation of why the IE6 beta causes the problem, but at least the patch works as described.

Now, on to the next Office XP quirk... ;-)