Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems Exporting Addresses (6.0)

I'm trying to export my OE 6.0 addresses into a .CVS file and have followed the instructions on the Microsoft page but everytime I try to do it, OE says an error occurred and the file I tried to create is not there. I want to use the addresses in a mail merge with Word but can't seem to get them into a usable format. Any one else ever have trouble exporting the addresses? Alternatively, is there a way to import them into Access or Excel?

Thanks

Re: Problems Exporting Addresses (6.0)

Where are you trying to export to? Have you tried with a simple location like:
    <code>c: test.csv</code>

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I just tried to put it directly into the C: drive and got the same problem. I was trying to put it in My Documents earlier but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Is there a limit on how many names can be exported? Perhaps I should move a number of them into a subfolder since I understand they won't be exported from there. Then I could get some of them done and then switch the finished ones with the ones in the subfolder and repeat. I was successful in exporting yesterday with 2 names but I certainly don't want to go through that process a hundred times or more.

Thanks

I would be more like to suspect corruption or 'illegal' data in one record.

You could try exporting the first half, if OK, then the first half plus half of the remainder etc until you can identify a bad contact.
    (Obviously, if the first half not OK, then try the same 'binary' route reducing down from half. Hope that makes sense!)

Can you tell how far you get through the process before the error? Does it start producing the csv at all?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried what you suggested and had no better luck. I even went down to just one name to export and it didn't work. Thinking that might be the "bad" one, I tried some others with no success. Then my next thought was that it didn't want to export separate fields for First Name, Last Name even though those options are there. I left the default of 'Name" and tried again but that didn't work either. The error seems to happen right away because it is immediate and there is no file 'MailMerge.csv' created.

Thanks

I don't use OE, but it may be the same as for Outlook:

When you get to mapping the fields to be exported, can you Clear then select a Default map as below? If that works, getting more info that you need may be better than none at all, and you either be selective when creating your labels, or edit the CSV with Excel to delete the unwanted columns.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again Leif. Unfortunately, OE is not like Outlook in this regard. I have attached a Word document with a couple screenshots. There seems to be no way to do what you suggest. I did try to export and just accept the default which would be more info than I need but that would be OK since I would just use the fields I need in the Mail Merge but that wouldn't work either. I suppose I could reinstall OE but I'm not sure how to do that without installing Windows again and I don't want to go through all the updates and everything. Is there a way to just do a repair and select OE as the software to be repaired?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif, I thought of a possible solution today but wanted to run it by you and get any needed instructions or warnings before attempting it. My father-in-law is here visiting and I've installed a wireless router so he can surf via his laptop. Can he use his version of OE and do the export if I share the folder where my .WAB file is located? How would he point his OE to my .WAB to do the Export? I guess I could copy and paste my address book onto his machine, change the names of files and make his OE think it is still looking at his .WAB but I don't want to risk messing up his files. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I would try your second idea as it seems the simplest - just make sure you make backups of everything first.

Before you do that, try a dry run with your father-in-law's own data, leaving all fields to their default, just to make sure his OE works as expected. If it does work OK with his but not with your .wab, you'll at least know it's most likely an issue with your data.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again Leif, I copied my WAB over to the laptop and renamed the files. It opened just fine in his OE but gave me the same "Error in Exporting" stuff. I switched back to his WAB and it exports just fine. I guess there is something wrong with my WAB data although as far as I can tell it works fine in every respect except for the export. I have printed out the names and am typeing them into Access to use for my MailMerge. I have to get it done today since this is what I'm using to send out Christmas letters to all my friends. Thanks for your help. Until next time....