3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

warning messages when opening (2003)

Hi,

Ive finally realised that my Excel workbook is just too unwieldy now, so I've taken the plunge and have begun creating it as an Access database - something that I've never used in anger before. What surprises me given that it currently only has four tables and I created it, is that Access gives me a warning each time I try and open it to check if I really want to do this. It's extremely irritating - how do I turn it off.

Thanks.

Stuart

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: warning messages when opening (2003)

With Access 2003, Microsoft introduced Macro security settings, similar to the Macro security settings in Excel/Word/etc. You can disable the messages in the same way, ie.:
    <UL><LI>Open Access<LI>From the Tools menu, click "Macros..."<LI>Click "Security..."<LI>Change it to "Low" and OK your way out of the dialogue boxes[/list].
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you&#39;ve probably missed something.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can also sign the VBA project in the database with a digital signature. See How to add a digital signature to a custom macro project in Office 2003 and Office 2002.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK. I understand that and can do that. But I'm still confused as my project doesn't HAVE any macros! In Excel, if there are no macros then you get no warning - you only get the warning if there are or were macros. Is this a particular "feature" of Access?

Cheers,

Stuart

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The whole concept of macro security is new in Access 2003. I assume that an Access database already contains the components needed for VBA code when the database is created, whereas those components are only added to a Word document or Excel workbook when you actually create some code or a userform.

Thanks

Waggers:

Thanks for your post! I discovered that my new install of 2003 did not have the "security" option in the Tools | Macros menu; I had to add it my self. I have attached an image of the help file for those who may need to add it to the menu.
    Bryan,
    Not the smartest critter on the glacier. . .
    . . .but I'm persistent (does that count?)