New Lounger
    Thanks

w2k sp2 installation doesn't complete

Hello and thanks in advance.
    Recently downloaded and tried to install service pack 2. Things seemed to proceed ok until restart. Progress bar goes about 2/3 of the way then get a stop error.
    0x0000007b.......inaccessible_boot_device
    hard drive (Western Digital) checks out fine by their own diagnostics. Everything was working fine until I tried to apply the service pack.....
    can't even boot to safe mode... any suggestions?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: w2k sp2 installation doesn't complete

When you say 'downloaded and tried to install' are you saving the update to disk, then running it? I only make this as a suggestion (it may have no bearing on your problem) because many MS updates do not work if you do it that way. After downloading, you have to run the installation from the site straight away. If you knew this already, sorry.
    Rgds

BenUK

I also attempted to install SP2 (I had downloaded the full version - approx. 100MB). The update had finished installing and I rebooted the machine as requested. I then received the inaccessible boot device message...but I could still boot into safe mode.

I decided it was about time I formatted and started afresh, so I did. After formatting and reinstalling Win2K I tried SP2 again and received the same message. I remembered that SP2 adds support for UDMA ATA100 which my IBM Deskstar HD supports. The only way I have found round the problem so far is to boot into safe mode and change the Transfer Mode in device settings from "DMA if available" to "PIO Only". I can now run Win2K again but it does seem a little sluggish.

I can only assume that that there is a problem with the new driver for DMA file transfer that prevents it from working with my drive.

One other thing I have heard is that SP2 has to be installed by the Administrator NOT someone with administrative rights.

Sorry its a bit long...

Ben

Super Moderator
    Thanks

All OS updates need to be installed by Administrator , and MOST programs should be installed by Administrator and NOT just a user's account. A user account can NOT add or change any thing that is NOT in the user's folders.

For one, if installed by a user, the program may only be available to that user and that user ONLY.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the help.. much appreciated.
    after undergoing an upgrade to a new mother board, new cpu.. AMD Thunderbird 1GHZ......
    discovered that the new hard drive (WD 40 g) seemed to be slowly decreasing in size, though their diagnostics showed all was fine... had the hard drive replaced (store took it back no questions and provided a new one).. installed and presto... everything works fine. SP2 install no problem.....

now if I could just solve my ISP problems....
    Thanks again,.