New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 95 boot disk

I need to re-install Win 95 on my PC. I have the CD but no boot disk. How do I go about creating a new boot disk that will include the CD ROM driver so that I can install 95 from the CD?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win 95 boot disk

You'll need to get hold of the dos driver for your CD drive. They're usually available on the manufacturer's driver page, or they may be on either a diskette or CD that came with your CD or computer. You'll also need a boot diskette that contains command.com and the two hidden files that form the "system" for any version of DOS. You'll also need a copy of a file named MSCDEX.EXE on this diskette. MSCDEX contains the DOS "extensions" that tell your computer how to talk to your CD drive. In my case, I also needed dos drivers for my sound card, since my CD-ROM drive plugs into my sound card to connect to my computer. If you're lucky, you will find a setup file with the CD driver that automatically creates the two other files you'll have to have on the boot disk: AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS. If not, you're going to need to create them yourself. CONFIG.SYS will need instructions on how to find MSCDEX.EXE, and what commands to load with it. AUTOEXEC.BAT will need to know how to address the drive.
    Wild, huh?

Pat Moore

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Startup file locations

I'm running 950B. There are about five programs that start by themselves when I boot. I've emptied the startup folders in each profile and edited the run= and load= statements in WIN.INI, but I don't know where to look for the rest of these startups. Any clues? I'd like to create a profile which boots with nothing except Explorer so I can install programs without having to kill all these self-starters one at a time with the task manager.

ileacy

Can you still read the hard drive on your existing system?

If so you can probably build the startup disk you need from that system.

Most of the software you need should be in the "C:WINDOWSCOMMAND" directory.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Startup file locations

Pat, I found with Win 98 SE that you can find this by opening Start>programs>accessories>system tools> system information. Then select Tools>system information utility. You can then click on the various tabs, the one you want is probably the Startup tab. Deselect the startups you don't want. Alternatively, use a utility like System Mechanic which is downloadable from iolo.com on a 30 day trial basis (very good utility!!!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ian,

I discovered that I could use a Win 98 boot diskette and then run the Win 95 install. It worked fine. I then created a Win95 boot diskette using the Add/Remove programs control panel and the create startup disk tab.

Simon.

ileacy

Make sure you test the startup disk and confirm that you can read your CD after boot from floppy.

You may still need to edit the startup disk to get CD support.