2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Import PST File (Outlook 2000 SP3)

Hi,

Last summer one of managers was let go. At the time, our IT department took his computer, and burned all the files onto three CDs. There is no problem with opening any of the Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, etc. Recently, we've needed to check his old e-mails, which were exported to a very large (426 MB) .pst file.

The first person who tried this got two messages during the import process, right after navigating to, and choosing the specific file to import. The first one said:

"Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use."

Clicking OK on that box brought up the second message:

"File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file Cocuments and Settings..." etc.

I tried importing the file on my machine, since I have administrator privileges, but I had the same problem. I tried changing permissions on the file, but it refuses to be imported. The e-mails in this file were not encrypted or password protected, and the manager who was let go was not very computer savvy. As far as we know, his Inbox, Sent Items, and any other folders were just exported en masse to this one big .pst file.

Everyone in our office uses Office and Outlook 2000, although we are split between Windows 2000 and Windows XP users. That didn't seem to make any difference.

Any ideas on how to get it to import?

Thanks for your help.

John DeA

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't Import PST File (Outlook 2000 SP3)

Just in case: have you had a look at the NTFS permissions to see whether there's an issue there (such as someone having to take ownership)? HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The .pst file is saved to my desktop. I right-clicked Properties for the file, and on the security tab I appear to have everything checked in the "Allow" column with the exception of "Special Permissions." I can click on the Advanced Button and then go to the Effective Permissions tab and add all those in, but the setting doesn't seem to stick. Anyway, after doing all this, I stil get the same messages.

Thanks

Does File>Open work with this PST?

In 2000, File > Open > Personal Folders file (pst)

In 2002, File > Open > Outlook Data File

(This requires that the file not be marked read-only)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply - I was away over Christmas. In any event, thank you - your answer led me to the simple solution. Once I right clicked on the .pst file and unchecked the read only property, I was able to import the file. I hadn't thought of that, because importing the file doesn't do anything to the original .pst file, so I ignored the read only checkmark. Shows you what I know.

Thanks again!

John