Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows forgets recently opened files (XP Pro SP2)

Windows XP appears to forget the files I opened on the previous day. Once I turn off the computer for the day or even if I log out for the night, the previously opened files list is empty on the next morning. This occurs with at least two programs: Excel 97 & WordPerect 12. (Excel is set to show 9 entries on the previously opened file list. I'm not sure about the setting for WordPerfect. ) The problem does not occur with Word; It still shows 9 recently opened files.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows forgets recently opened files (XP Pro SP2)

References to Most Recently Used (MRU) files are stored in your Registry, but also as shortcut files (.lnk)

Do you see "forgotten" files in Start | My Recent Documents list? If this list is too short (you had too many documents opened recently), you can see the full list in the
    Cocuments and Settings< your username >Recent folder.

MRU lists for the programs you mention are in the Registry:
    - for Excel97:
    HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.0ExcelRecent File List
    - for WordPerfect12:
    HKCUSoftwarecoreluser assistant12recent workwordperfectlast opened

The reason why MRU lists become empty most probably is that one of the programs (like Lavasoft AdAware, CleanMRU or similar) is cleaning your MRU lists "every day" (every 24 hours), or you have a Scheduled Task to do so.

Less probably that you have group policy setting ('Do not keep history of recently opened documents' in User Configuration/admin templates/start menu and taskbar) or Registry entry (HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPolicie sExplorerNoRecentDocsHistory) - just because Microsoft Word keeps its MRU list.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows forgets recently opened files (XP Pro SP2)

Thank you. It makes sense now: I'm using Ad-adware and have been deleting MRU lists without realizing what I was doing.