Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge from a subfolder (2002)

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a mail merge from a subfolder in a User's contact list. There is not problem if you do the mail merge from their own personnel folders. However, when we try to do a merge from a contacts folder that is a sub folder the headings do not come up the same and the information is incorrect. For example, instead of "Last" the first column says "Importance" and each cell is filled with the number 1. The Second column has "Icon" instead of "First", etc. How do I correct this?

Thanks,
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge from a subfolder (2002)

Has the subfolder been enabled as an address book? (Right-click the subfolder, select Properties, activate the Outlook Address Book tab and tick the check box "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book".)

Have you tried initializing the mail merge from the subfolder in Outlook? (Select the subfolder, then select Tools | Mail Merge...)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Happy Holidays Hans!

To answer your question, I just checked and yes the subfolder is enabled as an address book. I tried initializing the mail merge as a subfolder in Outlook run into one of two things. I try to initialize it the exisiting document, it prompts me to change the fields to the the Outlook Field Names, but then nothing shows up. If I try a new document it doesn't let me see the subfolder to choose it.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but this subfolder is filled with data imported from Outlook Express. The import went fine. To rule that out I made a dummy subfolder and imported data from an exisiting Outlook contact folder and still have the same issue.

Thanks,
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you initiate the mail merge from Outlook instead of from Word, there should be no dialog to select an address book, because you already started the merge from an address book, so I don't understand why "it doesn't let me see the subfolder to choose it".

Perhaps you could assign a special category to all contacts in the subfolder, then move (or copy) them into the main Contacts folder. You can then select all contacts with that category and start the mail merge.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

>>If you initiate the mail merge from Outlook instead of from Word, there should be no dialog to select an address book, because you already started the merge from an address book

OK, this makes sense. Problem is it still isn't working. When I initialize from Outlook, I get a message that I need to complete the process by selecting the "setup" button of step 1. I do this, select the label that I need, hit OK and it brings me back to the mail merge screen. If I select close (thinkin the merge source has been selected then I get blank labels. Note: the merge option button is not enabled for me to complete the merge. If I go to step two to select a data source and choose the address book option and choose Outlook Address Book, I see the subfolder listed. I select it and a merge seems to take place. When I go into edit, I get something that looks like the attached file. Again the merge button is never enabled.

There are over 300 contacts. Although assigning them a catagory would be tedious I'd do. I tried it with one or two but didn't see anywhere to filter by catagory.

Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Office Watch has a detailed description of merging from Outlook and how to use categories: see Office Watch 6-52 and Office Watch 6-53.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans!!

Leesha