2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Help with Random Rule (Office SP2)

On occasion, I get certain emails that land in a folder for which I have not setup a rule for. After reviewing all of my rules, I can't see where/how/why they go there ... is their a way to run an audit of the rules? I was hoping to export the rules to at text file so I could look at all the parameters on a spreadsheet, but it doesn't appear as though it allows for that type of export, just to another version of Outlook.

Does anybody have any ideas that may help me figure it out?

Thanks in advance,

--Jim

Thanks

Re: Help with Random Rule (Office SP2)

I'm not aware of any tools that read rules either directly from your PST or from the RWZ file you can export. (The RWZ file contains "tokens" that refer to various actions the rules can take, rather than a textual description). You could try Slipstick and other Outlook/Exchange sites.

I think the best you can do without a third party product is read the textual descriptions of the rules in the lower part of the Rules and Alerts window. You also could capture these as images using Alt+PrintScreen or your favorite screen capture tool...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just a WAG, but have you considered the order in which the rules fire?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your response. I've looked at the rules, and can't find any that would put those emails into my hobby folder. All of my rules setup for my hobbys are by either the email address or subject line ... and I can't find any rules that put anything else there.

--Jim

Thanks

Presuming by default all incoming mail goes to your Inbox, move one of the errant emails back from the wrong (Hobby?) folder into the Inbox.
    Then, go to your rules and select Run Now, then select which rule you want to check, and run it.
    If you find a rule that is moving an email when it shouldn't, you'll know which one it is and it will then just be a case of finding out why...