5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Use this device as the primary monitor (XP)

I recently connected a 19" Dell monitor to my ThinkPad. I didn't use a docking station; I just plugged the Dell into the appropriate slot on my laptop.

But what I really want is for the Dell not to supplement my laptop monitor but to replace it.

Unfortunately, the box, "Use this device as the primary monitor" (under the settings tab in the display applet in the control panel), is both grayed out when I select the Dell and when I select the laptop. It is also checked for the laptop, but I can't change it.

Is this a shortcomming of laptops (or maybe ThinkPads?), or am I missing something? Thanks as always.

Jon

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Use this device as the primary monitor (XP)

My HP laptop can use the secondary monitor in two different ways.

<UL><LI>The hardware can control the external monitor to set it in one of three modes
    <UL><LI>Off
    <LI>External monitor only, with the internal monitor turned off
    <LI>Slave copy of the internal monitor, everything appears on both monitors. [/list]The key combination Alt-F4 switches between these modes.
    <LI>If the external monitor has been set Off using Alt-F4 then I can enable the external monitor from Control-Panel > Display. Otherwise the controls are greyed out like yours.[/list]StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart,

Unfortunately, at least for me, Alt+F4 is tantamount to the escape button. But, using that tip, I did some Googling and found http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-55434, which says the ThinkPad equivalent is FN+F7.

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, slight memory lapse due to excess festivities. My laptop uses Function-F4 for this, not Alt-F4 which is, as you say, an exit function in Windows.

StuartR