3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Icons on QuickLaunch bar

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by kiazd on 28-Dec-05 20:40. )</P>I have a number of Word and Excel items on the QuickLaunch bar. I am trying to find a way to change the icon. For example, an Excel icon that opens up a telephone directory that I would like to change from the standard Excel icon to a telephone icon.

I know that you can change certain icons such as Aoutlook by going to properties, change icon. However this does not appear to be the case with icons going to a specific spreadsheet or Word document.

Is there a method to change the default Excel or Word icons?

Thanks.

I know you can create a short cut to the particular file and then make the changes to the icon. Just want to know if it is possible to do without having to make shortcut.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Icons on QuickLaunch bar

You can change the icon for all Word documents (or Excel workbooks etc.) in the File Types tab of Tools | Folder Options... in Windows Explorer. But this will also affect the icon displayed for Word documents in Windows Explorer, and in the Open and Save dialogs, and in the title bar of documents in Word, etc.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The icons in QuickLaunch bar are the shortcuts (.lnk files) in
    Cocuments and Settings< your username >Application DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick Launch
    folder.

So, if you want to change an icon for INDIVIDUAL shortcut, for example, for specific Excel workbook, just navigate to this folder, right-click the shortcut, from pop-up menu choose Properties. On the Shortcut Properties dialog make sure that Shortcut tab is selected and click the "Change Icon" button. If on the next screen the choice of available icons is not enough, click Browse button and navigate to
    C:WINNTSystem32SHELL32.DLL or
    C:WINNTSystem32moricons.dll or
    C:WINNTSystem32quartz.dll or
    any other .exe or .dll file containing icons of your choice.

But if you want to change the icon for the GROUP of shortcuts, for example, for all Excel workbooks, use the routine that Hans described.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Just the tip that I needed.