Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to open msg attachments (Outlook 2003 sp1&2)

We are experiencing a problem that I have found referenced on this board, but no answers for. When a user opens an attached email (an email that has been forwarded/inserted as an attachment) for the second time in the same session of Outlook, they receive the error "the operation failed". these email attachments are in html format. The user cannot even save the attachment anywhere, they receive the "Cannot save attachment" message. However, when you look at where you saved it, the .msg file is there. If you try to open it, you receive the "Unable to read the item" message. All of these issues are resolved one time only when closing and re-opening Outlook. Then, it starts all over again. We are using Outlook 2003/Exchange 5.5. I can replicate this issue every time.

Thanks

Re: Unable to open msg attachments (Outlook 2003 s

Given the "age" of Exchange 5.5, it does not surprise me that there are some glitches using it with Outlook 2003. You might check whether MS has released any service packs or hotfixes to Exchange 5.5 since the release of Office 2003.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I copied that text from someone else and failed to update it before I posted. We are using Exchange 2003 SP1.

Thanks

Are there any unusual settings for Outlook's cache folders on the PC? I'm having no problem repeatedly opening the same "embedded item" attachments (or other attachments) on 03/03. I run with local administrator / domain peon privileges.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

There are not. After further investigating, we discoverd that it happens on all of our pc's, except those that have Workshare installed. I am now wondering if this is the culprit, as it didn't seem to start happening until after our last upgrade. Unfortunately, even starting Outlook in Safe mode doesn't help.