New Lounger
    Thanks

Essential Files To Safeguard

I have several pc's running xp, 2000 and 2003 server. At this time they are in a workgroup setup with NO domain controllers and I wanted to know what files should be backed up for safe keeping. Some of the ones I am concerned about are the security profiles for users as well as encryption keys and passwords, system files and other crucial settings. I am asking this as I am continuously upgrading hardware and backed up versions will not work since hardware drivers and new OS installs would no longer be compatable and have already experienced a system that will not boot after I upgraded a controller. Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Essential Files To Safeguard

I don't think you're going to find a blanket answer anywhere. You can back up the system state on Windows 2000 and newer, but this will include hardware configurations as well.

Have you investigated the viability of Automated System Recovery (ASR)?
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Essential Files To Safeguard

I'm not familiar with the ASR that Mark suggested you look at, but I have to ask this instead. As relatively inexpensive as it is these days, have you investigated any disk imaging software? Most of them, if not all, can be scheduled, they run pretty fast even on good size drives and can create the backup images on network shares. You ought to be able to backup EVERYTHING and not have to worry about selective files, daily if not more often.