Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't see WIFI PC

Hi All,

Attempting again to get home network to work.

Config:

PC1 - Win XP-H, hard wired to Lynsys Wireless Router w 4-port switch, shared USB printer attached
    PC2 - Win XP-H, hard wired to Lynsys Wireless Router w 4-port switch
    PC3 - Win XP-H, wireless to Lynsys Wireless Router w 4-port switch

PC1 and PC 2 can see each other, share files and PC-2 can print.
    PC 3 can see the C drive on PC1 and PC2 and can print.
    Neither PC1 or 2 can see the C drive on PC3.

We get an error that says:

"PC3 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the admin......

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

Any ideas as to what to try?

Douglas

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't see WIFI PC

Make sure that you have a username and password on PC3 that match the username and password that you log on to the other PCs with.
    Make sure that the firewall on PC3 is allowing connectivity from the network addresses that the other PCs use.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I've just gone through this saga (as you will remember!) but I've not found it necessary to change any accounts on any of the (two) computers networked. The first step was to get the wireless XP Home PC to be able to access the internet via the hardware firewall. Then I just had to put both computers into the same workgroup, then faff around with the computer browser settings to enable each to see the other more rapidly than the default. After that, it was a matter of reading through all the "file and print sharing" articles on the internet, setting up folder sharing on each PC, and adjusting folder and file permissions (on the XP Pro box), and it was relatively plain sailing...!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The significant piece of data here was the message "You might not have permission to use this network resource" which suggests to me that we have an account problem. I guessed that the Guest account is disabled and the incoming username/password combination does not match one on the target system.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You're right about the Guest account, I think -- but it may be worth highlighting the distinction between 'disabled' and 'off'. If the Guest account is 'off' it doesn't appear on the Fast User Switching menu, but it can still be 'enabled'. Mine is/are in this condition!

Another factor to be aware of is that on the Sharing menu for a folder in XP Home there is a tick-box which says something like "Allow network users to change this folder and files".

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all of your thoughts, but I'm still quite confused. At the present, PC2 has been taken off line (moved into my daughter's room with no LAN access). PC1 still cannot see PC3 even though I have set up a guest account on PC3. I get the "you are not authorized...." message when I try to access PC3 from PC1's network places folder.

Two days ago, we were able to see PC1's HD from PC3 and print to the printer attached to PC1, but that is no longer the case. Now when I try to see PC1 from PC3's network places, I get the same "You are not authorized..." message that I posted in my first plea for help.

I attempted to run the wireless network wizard from PC1 using a USB flash drive as suggested and all of the messages I got along the way were positive, but it did not change anything.

Your comments on ID's and passwords are not clear to me. Can you expand? Or offer other suggestions?

TIA,

Douglas

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Check the "Firewall" on EACH machine. If you do NOT have any third party firewall, then the Windows Firewall may be blocking the machines.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. The firewalls on each machine are by McAfee and are both configured for "Home Network Optimization" so I am believing that they are set to talk to each other there. If you know of specific parameters I should look for and check, I am all ears.

D.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you try this command from a command window on PC3, it should give a more specific error message that might help identify the cause of your problems.

<code>Net USE PC1IPC$ /user:Username</code>

Make sure you have a space before /User, that PC1 is the correct computername for PC1, and that Username is a user that exists on PC1.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, wouldn't you know it. Today, when I go to log onto PC3, I can see PC1, the root of PC1, and the attached printer. The "net use" command resulted in a message that it was "completely successful."

Going to PC1 and repeating the "net use" command from there pointing at PC3 resulted in the following message:

System error 1385 has occurred.
    Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

Does this help?

Douglas

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When you issued that command on PC1 did you use a username that is valid on PC3?

Does PC3 definitely have file and printer sharing enabled? To check this, on PC3, right click My Computer > Manage > Expand shared folders and select Shares.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart,

I did as you suggested. I opened My Computer>Manage>Shared Folders>Shares and saw a list of drives (my son has three partitions on two drives). Attached is a screenshot

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

So you definitely have shared folders, you haven't confirmed that you used a username that is vaild on PC3.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I used "little kahuna" which is a legal name (I think).

D.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

We have a misunderstanding here. You need to create a username on PC3, one that is able to log in to PC3 and access files, and then use that username in the NET USE command. Alternatively you can enable the guest account on PC3.

It will be easiest to use a name with no spaces in for this purpose. I assume that NET USE will work with a username such as "Little Kahuna", so long as you use the "" characters, but I have never tried this myself.

StuartR

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast