Lounger
    Thanks

Loss of Windows files (XP SP2)

I have a strange problem with XP. Every few days it loses a file, gives me a bad checksum message or this morning, I had to run repair. Also, on my sound card or actually the software seems to get lost if I don't play it for 2 or 3 days and I have to reinstall the program. I have run checkdisk and defrag and ran Maxtor's utility. I haven't done a low level check yet, as I really don't want to reinstall everything. It acts like a bad sector on the drive, (40GB Maxtor), 2 yrs old. But I would think it would show up on checkdisk. I was going to get a new sound card, but I don't think that is the problem, as when I play a CD every night while I'm working, it does fine. Maybe it is like me and getting old and senile. Any ideas appreciated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Loss of Windows files (XP SP2)

This really sounds more like a hardware problem and not really virus-like behaviour.

Could I suggest you scan your System Event Log with the EventViewer program (just run eventvwr from the Run command) to see whether there are any indications of problems?

Secondly, I presume you have all the necessary things like software firewall, antivirus, and perhaps antispam program, all installed and up-to-date? As I said, it seems unlikely that you are experiencing a virus, but you never know, and it's always good to have that protection in place anyway!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response. Yes I have Zone Alarm Security Suite running and updated, plus I run Ad Adware regularly, so I don't think it is a virus either. I looked at the Event Viewer and what I found was in the System Viewer, Event Control Manager shows about 3 errors each time I startup the computer. It shows that for every day for the month of December and the Event Number is always 7000 and 7001. I don't know what that means. Do You? The Application Viewer shows an error in Userenv and event number is 1517 and this is after the computer is running for an hour or so. Any ideas on this is appreciated.

Thanks

Sometimes, repeat sometimes, you can get more information on these events by right clicking the error and then properties.
    A screen will come up with some basic info, and there should also be a link to MS regarding this particular error and some possible fixes.
    As I said, this isn't always a sure bet but it may give you more to go on.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I think those two event ids are fairly general, and you will get more information by clicking on them, as Bob says. They are probably something to do with a service or device not starting up, perhaps because of a missing or corrupt file (but I am only speculating!)...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all for the input. I did go into the event viewer and click on different aspects of what was there. I am not at all certain that I knew exactly what I was doing but apparently I did no harm as everything is still working and Windows came up this morning OK. I made some changes and used the MS info to guide me. I will see over the next few days whether I have cured the problem or not. I just checked the event viewer and the Service Control Manager (SCM) could not start the specified service, probably because the service is not configured correctly is still the message with the 7000 code, but it went ahead and 30 seconds later the SCM loaded OK. So there is still something that I am missing, why it doesn't load and then goes ahead and loads. The message for when it loads is: The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service was successfully sent a start control, (7035). Any ideas on this is appreciated.