3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Attachment Printing (OL 2003)

Was asked to investigate a rules based auto print mail box where the PDF attachments and Word dot or doc attachments were not automatically printing in all cases.
    After various uninstalls reinstalls of Adobe Reader and repairs reinstalls of Office 2003 I noticed that the Outlook File Print dialog box does not always open up with the expected options including the check box for Printing Attachments with the email. What I get is an XP print dialog box showing the icons of all installed printers across the top and some printer specific options rather than the Outlook related options.

I have tried changing the default format of Outlook to see if RTF, text or HTML make a difference but no change in what I see. I tried various printer drivers for the installation that prompted this search but printing to this HP Laserjet 4100DTN as a local printer or a network printer makes no difference. I have tried the PCL5e and PCL6 drivers but since I can reproduce this behavior on several other installations of XP Pro SP1 or SP2 I am looking at something within Outlook 2003 itself.

Attached is the print dialog box that most often pops up in place of the expected Outlook printing dialog.

Thanks in advance for any pointers and have a very safe and peaceful holiday season and enjoy the New Year, 15 minutes at a time!!

-Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough

Thanks

Re: Outlook Attachment Printing (OL 2003)

HTML messages use a different dialog... more similar to the dialog in IE. Unless you change the format of the message you are printing, you will not get the same dialog as the one presented for plain text format messages.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Attachment Printing (OL 2003)

Thanks.

I had set my mail and the client's profile to all 3 but did not change the incoming message to test. I can now report that the internal clients sending mail with attachments to this "service account" mail box must send in either plain text or RTF.

Take the weekend off, maybe Monday, too!!

-Jester
    I know enough to know I don't know enough