This problem no longer occurs but was as follows: On my Windows 98SE system, I previously had to, very often, delete the file C:WindowsTempVBEMsForms.Exd to prevent Word 2K from crashing when selecting a bookmark in a Word document. The error message when crashing was as follows. The blue title bar of the pop-up window said "Winword". The message was: "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor." After clicking the "Details" button I see: "WINWORD caused an invalid page fault in module WINWORD.EXE at 0187:30702f46. Registers: ...

This crashing problem lasted for over a year and stopped a few days ago, but, I do not know what solved it and am searching to understand it in case it occurs in the future. My best "guess", based on the MSKB linked below, is that it had something to do with not being able to write to the registry when the file MSForms.Exd was being used. However my Windows 98SE system did not have any users set up in the control panel where Windows 98SE enables one to set up a computer to be used by more than one person. I always "assumed" since no users were set up then I did not need to and do not know how to set up any permissions for the only one user to write to the registry when the file MSForms.Exd is in the temp folder. Although I think it is not relevant, my Windows 98SE computer peer to peer network was set up for "Share-level" access control and not "user-Level Access Control".

MS Support says: