compusecur

Appending data to an access DB

Hi everybody,

I have a general access question,

Someone who is using access 97 asked me if there was a way to append some data to a MS Access database without having to open access every time he needs to add data to it.
    He would like to have a small application that would reside on his desktop from which he could add data to his DB without having to go through access everty time, having to open a database or macro.

If you could e-mail me an answer, I would greatly appreciate.
    Thank you in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Appending data to an access DB

The simple answer is no, not with Access. You could build a VB front end that would do something like this, but even that will be using the Jet database engine. In Office 97, using any of the Office applications to enter data into an Access database will also launch a session of Access. What is it that he's trying to do that makes it undesireable to launch Access?
    Charlotte

compusecur

Actually I think that the professor who asked me this question has a slow computer and was hoping to have a faster way of appending data to his tables other than starting access which can be a bit slow...

Thank's for the quick answer :-)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In that case, it's probably more of a hardware or hardware/network issue than an Access problem. Access 97 shouldn't take very long to load on a machine with adequate memory, as long as it's at least a Pentium 90.

However, if the back end of the database is on a network drive, he's fighting network traffic and speed issues as well as his machine. If he's running the application *from* the network, it's even worse. As long as the whole thing is local to his machine, it shouldn't be terriby slow unless the design is poor, which isn't all that uncommon, unfortunately.
    Charlotte

compusecur

I'll have to check it out a bit further to see what kind of configuration the professor has because it could be local as well as networked..

Thanks for the help