Thanks

Photos in Word (2003 / All)

I edit a church newsletter which I produce using Serif PagePlus. One of the contributors keeps sending me articles in Word format with photos in them. I am not sure what the best way is of extracting these from the Word document and getting a usable JPG file out of the process. In my edition of Word (2003) I right click the photo in Word, and select Copy. If I then try to paste as a new file in say the GIMP, nothing happens. However if I paste in Paint, I get a BMP file, which I can save as a JPG. Is that the best thing to do? Why can I paste it into Paint but not the GIMP? What format are these photos in anyway once they have been put into a Word document?

(Once I have copied the photo from Word, I can also paste it straight into PagePlus, but I don't want to do that as I want to be able to reduce the size of it first, to keep my final file size down. The photos are typically 5 x bigger in dimensions, and therefore much bigger again in file size, than I want.)

(I would prefer my contributor to send me the JPG file of the photo from their digital camera separately from the Word document - I am trying to educate them to do that, but without success so far!)

Ian

Thanks

Re: Photos in Word (2003 / All)

Simplest is the use File>Save As, "Filtered HTML" format, into a temp folder. Grab the images you want and delete the rest. You may find that Word uses PNG format for some images that compress more efficiently with JPEG compression. You either can re-save them in your own favorite graphical editor or disable the PNG format in Word's Web Options. (But PNG compression is best for screen shots, so you might need to re-enable it later...)

Thanks

OK - I tried that and then opened the resulting htm file with IE. From there I right clicked the photo and saved it - it offered itself as a JPG. This produced a smallish JPG file presumably as it was at the dimensions that it had been in the Word document. (It had been scaled down to 14% of its original size.) It is pretty much indistinguishable from the one I produced by pasting into paint, saving as a JPG and then reducing the size of the JPG. I suppose the only drawback is that using your method I have then thrown away a lot of information and couldn't use the picture at a larger size if I wanted, whereas on my method it produces a picture of larger dimensions and if I wanted to I could reduce it less than I actually did.

Ian

Thanks

Whoops, it didn't occur to me that the pictures had been resized when inserted into the Word document. Try resetting the dimensions on the pictures in Word before saving to HTML. The reset button is available under Format>Picture, Size tab (and perhaps some other places), or you can use a macro to restore the original dimensions:

<code>Public Sub PictureSizesToActual()
    ' Undoes scaling of inline pictures
    Dim pic As Word.InlineShape
    With ActiveDocument
    For Each pic In .InlineShapes
    If pic.Type = wdInlineShapePicture Then
    With pic
    .ScaleHeight = 100
    .ScaleWidth = 100
    End With
    End If
    Next
    End With
    End Sub</code>

Note: This macro may cause unintended results if cropping was used. I didn't test that.
    Note #2: if you search for scaleheight, I bet there are other more sophisticated macros already posted...

Thanks

Thanks for this, Jefferson.

Of course, the real solution is to educate my contributor to give me the JPG separately instead of inserting the photo into the Word document.

Ian

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe it helps if you ask to send the doc with pictures inserted AND the jpg files. Worked for me in a similar situation a couple of years ago, where the guy refused to send text and pictures seperately because he wanted to have control over the insertion point of the pictures...

Thanks

Yes, though I am ignoring their layout and putting the pictures where I see fit!

Ian