5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Option Group choice to display text (2003)

I have an option group for the user to select a method of payment. I have made a query to show the payment methods used during a period of time. I would like the payment methods to display the actual words, not the number values set by the option group wizard. If I can't do this, then I'm stuck using a combo box, to allow the user to select the payment method. Am I trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with this one?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Option Group choice to display text (2003)

Are you talking about a query or a form? You can use an option group on a form, but not in a query. Your reference to the option group wizard makes it sound like you're using a form, so please provide more information about what you're trying to do.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you are using a query and wish to show wordings for the method of payment values you could use the Choose command as long as the values are consecutive.

eg. Choose([Method of Payment value],"1st method", "2nd Method", "3rd Method") as PayMethod

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am using the option group on a form, which stores the resulting selection in a table. I created a query using that table and wish to see the text for the selection in the table, not the numbers assigned from the option group. I like your suggestion Patt. I will try that. Thank you!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could also create a separate table containing the option values and corresponding descriptions:

<table border=1><td>ID</td><td>Description</td><td align=center>1</td><td>Cash</td><td align=center>2</td><td>Check</td><td align=center>3</td><td>Credit Card</td></table>
    You can create a query based on your table and on the new table, joined on the field corresponding to the option group vs ID. Double click the join line and select the option to return all records from the original table. Add the fields from the original table to the query grid, plus the Description field from the new table. That way you can display the description in reports etc.