2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chart with negative #'s (2000)

Thanks for all your help on the other chart. I have another chart, the last one out of 20 to make a excel database that is based on that chart. I know nothing about making charts but I learning alot from all of you. This chart uses some negative numbers. I have attached example of how the picture looked.
    Thanks again your the best

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Chart with negative #'s (2000)

See if we can teach you to fish! Here are the steps that I used:
    1. <LI>Selected the data on your word document and copied it (Edit | Copy)
      <LI>In Excel, click on cell A1 and paste the data into Excel (Edit | Paste)
      <LI>Corrected your source data to match the chart. Somebody doesn't understand per-cent!
      <LI>Select the data in column B, press the Chart Wizard button on the Standard Toolbar. The button looks like a bunch of books & a bookend, but it is really a column chart.
      <LI>Pick the chart that looks most like the one you want, in this case, Column. Also, pick the sub-type; in this case, Clustered
      <LI>Press the series tab and in the empty "Category X axis labels, press the weird box with the red arrow that is at the end of the box. Select A2 thru A9 and press enter
      <LI>Press next and fill in the labels: Change In Cases, Year, Percent. Also press the Legend Tab & uncheck Show.
      <LI>Press next & finish
      <LI>Double-click on the y-axis, Scale Tab, min is -0.06; max is 0.16; major unit is 0.02. Number Tab, decimal palces 0. Press OK.
      <LI>Double-click on the x-Axis, Patterns Tab, click on Tick mark labels Low. Press OK
      <LI>Double-click on the gray fill of the chart and in the area box, click none.
      <LI>Click on the border of the chart, move it up with the data and drag the bottom-middle handle down to make the chart higher. Also, drag the middle-left handle back just a little to make the bottom axis labels at an angle
    Result is attached
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Thanks

How about this?

I changed the data so it could get the values you seemed to want. Change them back if the data was correct and not the chart...

I inserted 2 rows to separate the 2 groups
    I don't display the category labels, but added text boxes for the 2 groups

Steve

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I loved Steve's idea of putting in blank lines to separate the years, so I revised my chart.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>