3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Data Files not available on old Drive (XP SP2, Ofc

Dear Sirs,
    I just installed a new 250GB HD. The installer left the data on my old 40GB HD (now Drive E) so that I could just copy the data over to the new drive. I can access everything on that old drive except the data. When I click on the My Documents, it says it isn't accessible - Access denied.
    I spoke to the technician - he said it must have something to do with the 'permissions' on the folder - he must have done something he says. Well, I started reading the 'permissions' section of my "Windows XP Inside and Out" book. It says to clear the "Simple File Sharing" check box under the 'View' tab. There is no such listing. Another paragraph said that maybe the drive is not formatted with NTFS - checked that - both drives are formatted as NTFS. Another paragraph says the User account rights, saying you must be an administrator. I am the only user and I am set up as the administrator.
    I don't have a network - it's just little 'ol me. I went to the "Network Setup Wizard", but I am not a network and was afraid to do anything
    Is it possible that anyone can help me with this? I simply don't know that much about this.
    Thank you,
    Julia Henson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Data Files not available on old Drive (XP SP2, Ofc

You need to take ownership of the files so that you can access them. You will find instructions for doing this in <post#=526,340>post 526,340</post#>. If the security tab isn't visible then you will need the more detailed instructions here.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Data Files not available on old Drive (XP SP2,

Thank you, Stuart. I will do this. I find I also am unable to use my Outlook address book for addressing email msgs. God, I can't do anything now that my computer has been 'fixed'!
    Any ideas on this? I probably should open a new ticket.
    Thank you,
    Julia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try posting your new question on the Outlook forum, but give them a better description than "I also am unable to use my Outlook address book for addressing email msgs", say what you have tried and exactly what happened.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have to laugh at some of the things I do, Stuart. Sorry about that! But, as it happens, I came across the solution and have resolved the problem, although i am not sure I could tell you what I did!
    Thanks again,
    Julia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I know the feeling, glad you got it fixed though, thanks for letting us know.

StuartR

Thanks

Rather than start a whole new thread on essentially the same topic -

I now know how to do get back all 'My Documents' from my old HDD, thanks to this thread and the ones it links to.
    Question, though - I have 4 users on my PC, and last night it took some effort to get all the files from the old drive copied to the right places on the new one. Only one of the IDs besides mine, though, gave me trouble with access - my 12-year-old daughter. My wife and son's folders under Documents & Settings gave me no trouble, but for my daughter's folder I had to take ownership.**
    First, is this an indication that she consciously changed ownership of her data? Or can it happen randomly?
    Second, since I had to take ownership to copy them to the new drive, will she - or will I, on her ID - have to take ownership back in order for her to access them on the new PC? And as an addendum to question #2, it would appear that this 'taking ownership' process creates an endless chain of taking ownership where only one person at a time will ever be able to access those files. Or is there a way to negate those effects so that they are commonly accessible?

And while it's fresh in my mind - is there an EASY way to copy old Documents & Settings data from an old drive to a new Windows install, without doing each directory/subdirectory separately? I'm mostly afraid that I will fail to copy needed information, rather than copy something I don't really need. But all the same, it is a very tiresome task, fraught with the risk of making mistakes.

** Doing all this kept me up way past my bedtime, so it might have just been me getting tired - but even when I took ownership of her main Documents & Settings folder on the old drive, I still had to do the same for each subdirectory (such as My Pictures, Local Settings, Application Data) to move the data in each of those directories. Is that normal? Well, maybe not normal in the sense of regular folks, but normal for Microsoft?
    Have a cookie -

Don

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> First, is this an indication that she consciously changed ownership of her data? Or can it happen randomly?

This is an indication that she had changed access permissions to her files, presumably removing the right of Administrator to copy the files. She could not however prevent Administrator from taking ownership of the files and then copying them.

StuartR

Thanks

Thanks for both responses!

As for the ownership issue, I will assume she either did it because they covered it in computers in school, or one of her friends suggested she do it in case her nosey parents are sneaking peeks at her comp files. Either way, not very comforting, but I can deal with it.
    Have a cookie -

Don