Lounger
    Thanks

Monitor problems (Win XP Pro (SP2))

On 4 intermittent occasions over the last 3/4 weeks, (the last one just now), I've been working away quite happily, when suddenly I'm staring at a peculiar screen, with a very large display and an error message, (is this Windows Safety Mode?), telling me that my 'ialmrnt5 display driver' isn't working normally and to reboot to restore full display functionality. Anyone got any idea what's happening and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Monitor problems (Win XP Pro (SP2))

Mike,
    What this is probably saying is that the display has reverted to the default mode, VGA. ( which is really terrible ) and that the video driver is going flaky on you.

If you reboot, does it come back to the normal display?
    Have you tried to see if there is an updated driver available from the manufacturer of what ever video card you have installed?

First find out what type of video card you have.
    Go to it's website and look for a newer driver for that particular card. Download it and go to Start> Run and type "devmgmt.msc" ( without the quotes ) click run.
    Device manager will come up and look for the heading "display adapter", right click and click update driver.
    Point it to the new driver you downloaded and install it.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Monitor problems (Win XP Pro (SP2))

Bob,

Many thanks for the detailed reply. Now that I know where to start I'll look into it. Luckily it DOES still revert back to a normal screen on reboot so I guess the driver hasn't deteriorated too far yet.

Mike