2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Weak microphone input

I am trying to use a Windows 2000 pc for VoIP, but have run into the following problem with the sound. Audio that I play back, whether from a cd or via a web radio, is no problem. Plenty of volume and good quality. However, when I try to record my own voice to see if I have sufficient audio input, the signal is extremely weak. I tried using a different headset, perhaps my microphone was defective. But this is not the problem. Both headsets work fine on another system. Since the audio system is part of the motherboard, I bought an additional sound card and installed that. This card also plays back fine, but again the recording level is extremely weak. Through the volume control panel where all of the various inputs can be adjusted I have also selected the option of turning on the microphone amplifier. But whatever that is, it did not make much difference. Anybody have any ideas on where I should look further to troubleshoot this issue? If I bought a USB phone, would I still have the same problem? Both audio devices are from C-Media, CMI8738 types.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Weak microphone input

Perhaps an inline microphone preamp would help?
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Possibly, but I find it odd that two separate pieces of hardware show the same problem. Unless this happens to be some kind of a known deficiency with C-Media products. But thanks for the suggestion.

Administrator
    Thanks

Have you installed the most current driver from c-media?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that was the first thing I tried, sorry I did not mention it. But to be complete, the driver I got was from a web site with all sorts of drivers. I tried to get the driver form C-Media direct, but when I click on the file to s=download it (there are actually 3 files), I get back the message that the ftp site cannot be found. Bummer.

Administrator
    Thanks

Have you also checked their FAQ and Product PDFs?

Joe