2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Several messages become one (2003 SP2)

Outlook is consistently failing to recognize end of message and beginning of next, resulting in one message showing in the inbox which, when scrolling through the preview pane, will reveal second, third, fourth and even fifth messages (most of which show a bunch of html code). Any solution other than find another mail reader?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Several messages become one (2003 SP2)

Is this in the 'Reading Pane' or in 'Autopreview' (in mail or folder view, check the View menu for these two options). In 2003, Microsoft doesn't call any part of Outlook the "Preview Pane", though us users do. The behavior you describe should not happen in Reading Pane, but is kind of the way AutoPreview works.

It might be best if you post a censored screen shot (gray out any personal information using a graphics program) illustrating the problem.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Do these messages come from any particular source? I'm wondering whether something about the message format disagrees with Outlook, since normally it has no problem deciphering HTML messages.

In case your mail file has become corrupted, you can:
    1. <LI>Close Outlook
      <LI>Make a backup of all .pst files with the current date
      <LI>Run ScanPST.exe (Inbox Repair Tool) to try to remove the corruption
    Hopefully it isn't anything serious!

By the way, I'm assuming this is a POP account. If it's your Exchange mailbox or if you are using IMAP, then the local PST repair really isn't relevant.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both of you for your interest. It's the "Reading Pane" where the appended messages show. I have a POP account. I have been unable to discern a pattern in the phenomenon (HTML v. text, nature of sender, listserve v. individual, etc.) I once a mentioned to an ubergeek friend that I was using Outlook; he sniffed and said, "Outlook does strange things with messages." As soon as I can get a screen shot down to a size the board will accept I'll post it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Screenshot reduced in size by HansV - please don't post images larger than 640x480 pixels!

Here's the screenshot. I can e-mail a clearer one if needed.

Thanks

Doesn't look good. Just in case it's a "bug," are you updated to the latest Service Pack? See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/of...e/default.aspx for access to Office Update on the web, or try Help>Check for Updates inside Outlook 2003. (In the latter case, save your work in all Office applications first.)

If you are up to date, try the PST repair described further up this thread.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have much to add (and the shrunk graphic is not legible); but do you have any other HTML rendering problems in other applications? Wondering vaguely if your HTML rendering engine is corrupt by chance or by virus.
    UTC -7ąDS

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The original screenshot wasn't very legible either. Here it is, zipped (I shrunk it because it is 1440x900 pixels)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, my eyes are crossing from reading it. However, the mega version does show how the messages are bleeding together - never seen that before, and not a clue what could be causing it.
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the huge file. I have the latest service packs -- I even have the WMF fix -- and am experiencing no other problems with HTML or otherwise. It's a fairly fresh (less than 1 month) install of XP and Office 2003. When I tried to repair Outlook, I got the "Installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it." I've verified the source -- the Office CD -- is in the drive and that Windows sees it. Same thing happens when I try to run setup.exe directly from the CD! I have seen the two KB articles on this error message, which collectively say, "Yeah, it's a bug in Windows" without offering a solution. Sigh.

Thanks

Rather than try to repair your program files and setting, try to repair your data file. The tool you need is named ScanPST.exe; if you search this board you can get more details.