Lounger
    Thanks

Unwanted Tray Icons

Windows 98, upgraded.

Is there any way to eliminate icons appearing at the right side of the tray at the bottom of the screen -- next to the clock display? Various packages have installed them there -- Norton, my browser, screensaver, etal. I'd like to get rid of them so I can use the realestate for launching software and access to what's open. BUT I'd very much like to keep the clock display.

Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Unwanted Tray Icons

By running "msconfig' and selecting the 'Start Up' tab you can turn off some or all the items being run at startup. This in turn will NOT place the icons in the systray, since you have turned them off.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think you really want to do what you're asking. The icons in the systray are meant for adjusting things running in the background. Unlike the icons in the QuickLaunch bar, which are just shortcuts to activate an application. If you really want to get rid of the icons, you would need to kill the background app they emanate from.
    What you could do, is deepen the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. (Mine in 3 rows deep). This allows me to have 39 Quicklaunch icons and 18 Systray ones, as well as TClock. There is plenty of room in the central part of the taskbar to have a desktop link (shrunk) and still display the open windows. The attachment gives a rough idea of the arrangement. (It appears distorted owing to the shrinking I had to do to save bandwidth). If you're really short of room to display running apps, try FreeShade <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hmmn.org/FreeShade> from here </A>, which rolls 'em up like a window blind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Good advice on the other posts here. You may also look at the tray icons themselves - many, but not all, have an option to hide the icon. Examples include ATI's tray icon, which can be disabled from the dispay properties pages, and Microsoft's mouse icon. CD Creator tosses a few down there to allow quick access to the application, but since you can run the program from the start menu, they're almost useless.

Norton requires their icon to be present. The screen saver should be safe to remove. In today's world you'll probably be stuck with a few tray icons, which isn't a bad thing, but a lot of apps like to place something there.

Also keep in mind that these icons usually represent some background program running, which can consume memory needlessly. Disable them one or two at a time, and see if you can live wihtout them. If you don't notice their absence, you probably didn't need them anyway.
    -Mark