2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot close .pst file (2003)

In my Outlook folder list, I've got my main .pst file listed and open, and also another one, let's call it Badpst. If I right-click on Bad.pst and select "Close Badpst", I get an error message saying: "The operation failed. An object could not be found." Pretty informative, huh? Anyway, does anyone know what I can do to close this file? I've tried rebooting. I've tried deleting the underlying .pst file and creating a new one with the same name Nothing. Grr. Thanks in advance.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot close .pst file (2003)

If you're saying this is a "phantom" PST that you can't actually access, then try the solution in <post#=82411>post 82411</post#>. HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I'd already looked at that thread. Either my problem is different, or I don't understand the instructions. I actually DO have a .pst file called "Badpst." (OK, that's not its real name, but you get the point; there really is one; it's not a phantom." Following the instructions in the thread you cite, I can get to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWindows Messaging Subsystem. There are no .pst keys under that, so I go to the next subsection Profiles, adn then to the next subsection, Outlook. That one does have keys under it, but there is no entry under that that lists Badpst, or any .pst, so I'm at a loss as to what toi do next. I've also searched the registry for any entries for "Badpst" and come up with nothing.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you're saying that you can actually open and read the contents of this PST, then that is not what I meant by a phantom.

In any event, it's looking like Outlook 2003 on Windows XP functions slightly differently than the settings that <!profile=MaryJ>MaryJ<!/profile> was working with. On my own machine, like yours (from the sound of it), there are a series of long hexadecimal strings under ProfilesOutlook. The PST names are entered under the 001e3001 value - where there is one. In some cases, a PST that I have loaded appears more than once. What I suggest is that you back up the registry, set a WinXP restore point and then delete each entire hexadecimal where the 001e3001 value is Badpst.

Since you will have done all those backups, I then suggest that you reboot before you try reopening Outlook.

HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for persevering, but I have no key beginning with those letters/numbers. And I've marched through all the hex numbers in that folder (if that's what it's called in the registry), and there are no keys under any of them that refer to a .pst file.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What you say is puzzling - on the basis that you are on WinXP. Under HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWindows Messaging SubsystemOutlookProfiles, there are a whole series of Keys (they look like folders) with names such as 00fc4e7598b87b43b7957219dc8504ce. In a number of them, either 3rd or 4th item down (usually 3rd), there is (on my system) an "ab" item with the name 001e3001. Next to that name in the Data column is the name of a PST without the ".pst" at the end. There are Keys for items that I'd forgotten I'd ever opened.

I would also expect a Key named 0a0d020000000000c000000000000046 - with an enrty for Outlook.FAV (obviously not a key for a PST). There should also be at least one Key with a 001e3001 value of Personal Folders.

Obviously, if it's not there, it's not there, but Hope That Helps.
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe it's because you have European version? I've got the right folder, and the keys look like you say they should. And, indeed, I have the key that you say should have with the Outlook.FAV iiem in it. But I have NO keys with "0001e3001", and no keys that contain the names of any of my Outlook .pst files. I'm using WinXP, service pack 2, with all current patches, etc.

This is making me want to consider getting a Mac and/or switching to Mozilla Thunderbird.

And yes, BTW, I can actually open the errant Badpst file and read all the emails, etc that are in it, so it's not corrupted in that respect.

Thanks for your continued efforts to help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Try Help|Detect and Repair. Unless you installed from a hard drive, you'll probably need your installation CD at the ready. HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

I had exactly the same problem. Its very annoying.

Scanpst does not work - the problem is not in the pst as your renaming experiment proved.

Recreating your profile (http://www.howto-outlook.com/Faq/newprofile.htm) should do the trick.