2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Setting the Link Property to Manual (Excel 2000 SP

Hi,

I have a problem that seems to be resolved, but after following Microsoft's help menu, I'm not sure why.

I have an Excel file on a local machine, and I wanted to link some of the cells to another Excel file that's maintained on a network drive. No problem doing that. My local file is a weekly report, and the linked cells read data from a networked file that is also changed weekly. Since I keep each weekly copy of my file, I want to make sure that the linking to the network file is done manually. i.e. Once I save my January 5 version of my file, I don't want the linked cells to ever change. Thus when I open an older version of the file I want to be prompted "Do you want to update the links?" so that I can say NO to the update. See screen shot #1 in the attachment as an example.

Well, when I initially set up the links in my file, then closed it and re-opened it, the links were updated automatically - I was never prompted for anything. After checking the Links properties, I discovered that the radio button to change the Links property to Manual was grayed out - see screen shot #2.

Now everything seems to be okay. When I open my local file, I am prompted for the updates, which is what I want. But the Links property is still listed as Automatic, and the Manual button is still grayed out. It's working the way I want, but looks like it shouldn't. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any information anyone might have!

John

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting the Link Property to Manual (Excel 2000 SP

In my personaly opinion, there is a better solution. At the point that you finalize the file so that you do not want to ever update the liniks again, simply select the entire sheet and copy it. Then do a PasteSpecial/Values to convert all of the links and formulas to values. You could have a VBA routine to do this for you.
    Legare Coleman

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting the Link Property to Manual (Excel 200

Hi Legare,

Thanks for the suggestion - actually that's what I do. I keep the linked copy just for myself. I was just curious about the grayed out control for controlling the updates.

John