New Lounger
    Thanks

Importing to Registry

I'm trying to import the entire registry after an export but I get an error that says I can't continue because I'm trying to change a key that Microsoft doesn't want changed -
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPr oductOptionsProductType

What are the ramifications in just deleting this key, I know Microsoft feels that the sky will fall if I do but they tend to exaggerate and is there a better solution?

jimhilt@yahoo.com

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing to Registry

Export the Product Options key, then delete it. Export the whole Registry again. Import it. Import The Product Options key. The problem you might encounter is that the key you mention may well not be the only one that the system balks at changing.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The key you are referring to is what identifies whether Windows is installed as a workstation, server, or other product (advanced server).

If you modify this key, your installation of Windows 2000 will cease to work, since it is a violation of your license agreement. So don't delete it, and don't modify it, unless you plan to spend some time reinstalling!
    -Mark

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

...if violating license agreements caused software to stop working, you wouldn't need copy protection.
    And If you knew how to make this happen, you could be as wealthy as uncle Bill...
    Messing about with the Registry is always accompanied by potential disaster - but can be recovered from. In Win 98SE use Scanreg to Restore backed-up good copies, and in Win 2kp, use Last Known Good.
    Don't let the killjoys at MS stop you experimenting, but equally, don't do it on mission critical machines.

Rgds

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It's not a matter of violating license agreements - that is not the real reason the value exists. This key determines quantums and overall behavior of the installation of NT/2000, as described in <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/info/nt5.shtml>this Sysinternals article</A>.

I haven't tried this in 2000 - but I'm no fan of blue screens, either, and that could possibly result.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBB/tip0800/rh0869.htm>0869
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the insight, MerC's comment to use the Last Known Good is the simplest solution. But I did save the ProductOptions key anyway.

Jim Hilt