Thanks

Acrobat creates wrong characters

Not sure if this is a Windows issue, a Word issue or an Acrobat issue, so I hope I am on the right board.

At work I use Windows NT 4, Word 97 and Adobe Acrobat 5. All was well until I recently changed my workstation. Now when I use Acrobat to create a PDF file from a Word document, some characters come out wrong in some fonts. For instance in both Palatino and Helvetica, the – character (en dash) appears OK in the Word document but appears as

Thanks

Re: Acrobat creates wrong characters

Does the PDF display incorrectly on your PC or only on others' PCs? Wondering whether it is font availability/embedding/licensing issue.

Thanks

It displays (and prints) wrong on my PC and others. I have tried embedding and not embedding the fonts with the same results either way.

Ian

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

A long as I remember, Acrobat 5 installs its own Type1 fonts. To solve your problem, I would recommend download and install Adobe Type Manager Light, and using this utility, install your favorite fonts as Type1 fonts on your workstation.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't actually do that because our software is centrally controlled and downloaded to us. However, ATM is not really needed, I think, because Windows NT 4 can handle Type 1 fonts without it. However, the particular fonts were installed on the workstation after Acrobat was installed. If Acrobat installs its own fonts I suppose it might help if I arranged for them to remove Acrobat and install it again, so that it would be going on after the fonts I need, not before. Do you think that might make a difference?

Ian

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry I did't answer your question. I hope it would, but I have no such experience. The only similar problem I remember - there was no way to install acrobat ad-ins to Visio (which was installed after Adobe Acrobat), but reinstall Acrobat.

Thanks

Re: Acrobat creates wrong characters - SOLVED!

OK - we've solved it. I compared my installation setting by setting with a colleague who did not suffer the same problem. In Acrobat Distiller, on the Settings menu, there is one for Font Locations. I had a check in the box saying 'Ignore True Type versions of standard Post Script fonts' and he didn't. Unchecking the box solved the problem. I don't really know why - I'd have thought that it would be happier working with the Post Script fonts than that True Type versions - but what do I know?

Ian