Thanks

Type down feature? (2002 SP3)

I hope my explanation makes sense. I have a field that is formatted as text in a text box. The field contains names, and has grown rather large. It is not linked to any other table. Is there a way to add a type down feature to the table (and the form created from the table) so that I can "type down" to a name? For example, focus on the field, type "r," and go to the first r-named person in the field? Or, can I create a drop down box that contains the names that I have already typed into that field? Thanks.
    JimmyW
    Helena, MT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Type down feature? (2002 SP3)

On a form bound to the table, you can create a combo box bound to the name field. Set its Row Source Type property to Table/Query (this is the default), and its Row Source property to

SELECT DISTINCT [NameOfField] FROM [NameOfTable]

where NameOfField is the name of the field and NameOfTable is the name of the table. If you want the user to be able to add new names, leave the LimitToList property set to the default No.
    (If you want new names to be added to the list while the form is open, you need some VBA code)

Thanks

Thanks again for your help, Hans! It worked as you described, but is there a way to select the name and be taken to the record for the name? I'm not a coder, so perhaps that's more than I can handle.
    JimmyW
    Helena, MT

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to Hans's answer, if you do not want to use code there is a wizard option that creates a Find dialogue for you form (see below)

If not there is a great example in Northwind, if you have it installed showing a way to filter a list using macro's. I have used it quite a few times to filter list of 40,000 names.
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See Jezza's reply.