4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Group Policy Error (XP-SP2)

I got an error when I tried to open the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) today - this has not happened in the past:
    <hr>The Group Policy security settings that apply to this machine could not be determined.
    The error returned when trying to retrieve these settings from the local security policy database {%windir%securitydatabasesecedit.sdb} was: The parameter is incorrect.

All local security settings will be displayed, but no indication will be given as to whether or not a given security setting is defined by Group Policy.
    Any local security setting modified through this User Interface may subsequently be overridden by domain-level policies.
    <hr>
    The file secedit.sdb does exist at the location mentioned in the error message.
    Some Questions: <UL><LI>Could the recent security update from Msoft have done something (Thursday's update) <LI>Does this mean that any changes I have made in the past are gone? <LI>Is there a way to set the Group Policy Editor back to default settings?[/list]TIA
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Group Policy Error (XP-SP2)

Try to repair secedit.sdb: select Start | Run... and type the following:
    <code>
    esentutl /p %windir%securitydatabasesecedit.sdb
    </code>
    Then press Enter or click OK. You could open a command prompt window instead, and type the same instruction, then press Enter.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are two entries at Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP in the Tweaks link. The entries are both labeled "Restore Group Policy Snap-In" and one is at line #230 with the other at #255. If I were you, I'd look at the .reg files to see what they do and maybe export your current tree to a file, just in case. Be careful... Do you have a full system backup of pretty recent vintage?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This worked and I no longer get the error message.

Thanks Hans!
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Big Al,
    I looked at both entries but decided to go with the suggestion Hans made rather than mess with the Registry. Thanks for the information AND for reminding me about Kelly's site.