2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Sharing on Network

I have a problem with my Home Network with File Sharing between my Main computer and my Laptop insofar as from my Main computer's Network Places I can "see" my Laptop and open the Laptop's files that I've previously OKed to be "Shared"

However in the reverse direction although I can see the Main computer's "Shared Files" but when I try to click open any of my Main computer's files, I get a message that -

"'the file is inaccessible and I might not have permission to use this network resource
    Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission

The network path was not found"

Obviously I've not set something up on the Main computer to allow the Laptop to access its files

Can someone please tell me how to arrange for the Laptop to have permission to access the Main computer's f"Shared Files"

Thanks in advance for your help

Max
    mrieper@optusnet,com.au

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Sharing on Network

You don't say what operatiing system you are using.

With Windows XP Pro this is fairly easy. You need to set the access permissions for any files and folders you want to access and for the share itself. You then need to make sure that the network login uses the correct username and password.

For Windows XP home it all gets a bit tricky, because it is hard to access the security tabs to set these things up.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

Thanks very much for your prompt reply to my plea for help

Yes a minute or so after posted my plea I realised that I should have stated what operating systems I was using

Both are running XP Pro

Now I'm confused by your comments Mate !!
    i.e.

"You need to set the access permissions for any files and folders you want to access and for the share itself. You then need to make sure that the network login uses the correct username and password"

I've set the access permissions on the Main computer using Explorer's Share & Security function to select the File Folder to "Share"

Is this the correct way to do it ?

What do you mean by "the share itself" ?

And, where do I go to set .the network login with the correct username and password ?

My mumbled apologies for my ignorance

Awaiting your further assistance

Cheers n Tears
    Max

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Start by reading <!mskb=304040>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 304040<!/mskb>, if that doesn't answer your questions then post back.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

Sorry Mate but I'm back !!
    I didn't follow your emailed advice yesterday because we were celebrating our 54rd Wedding Anniversary !!
    One has to get one's priorities right sometimes Eh !!

NOW,

Thanks for the URL that you gave me to look at , which I've now done today and found that I didn't have the "Simple File Sharing" option selected for the "Folders- View"

However when I selected this option and then checked that the Main computer's folders that I wanted to share were correctly options to "Network" share, I still couldn't access these "Shared Folders" from my Laptop, even if I gave them "Full" not just "Read" access

One thing I haven't disclosed is that both computers are running under the NTFS file system so I don't know if this is contributing to the problem !!

Could I therefore request a little more of your time to help me find the solution to this problem

Thanks once again

Meanwhile

Cheers n Tears
    Max

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Max,

Sorry for the slow replies, I am doing quite a bit of travelling for work at the moment and can't always get to the net!

NTFS is definitely the right file system for you to be running, so don't worry about that.
    You don't need to turn on simple file sharing, I generally turn it off and set the correct permissions on all my files and shares manually, but some people find it simpler to configure.

Can you look through this forum for recent posts on file and share permissions. We have had a number of people with similar problems to yours and the usual advice is to
    <UL><LI>Make sure you have network connectivity between the two computers
    <LI>Make sure the guest account is enabled
    <LI>Connect using a username and password that exists on the remote computer
    <LI>Make sure the connecting user (and guest account) have access permissions to the network share
    <LI>Make sure the connecting user (and guest account) has access permissions to the files and folders
    <LI>Temporarily turn off all firewalls to ensure that they are not preventing connections, then re-enable them[/list]Most of these things are easy to do on Windows XP Professionall, and can be quite tricky on XP Home, but read the last few dozen posts here and you will see some of the things that other people have tried.

StuartR