Silver Lounger
    Thanks

'Work Offline?' Annoyance (XP SP2)

A few days ago, I initiated a thread on this board dealing with which updates to install via Auto Update. I think that one ran its course and is done. I mentioned there that maybe something that was happening might be related to the updating actions.

I'm not sure so I'm going to ask in a new thread.

I have my Auto Update on Notify Me. I downloaded a whole bunch of updates, including one I didn't want (Messenger, since I don't use it). I never installed it nor do I intend to. I've set the action to don't install, hide it, don't ask again. (Aside: can I just delete the folder this update is in so XP doesn't even know of the existence or is there some other way to get rid of the knowledge of the existence of this update on my system?).

At roughly the same time that I started playing with Auto Update, I started getting the message per the attached screen shot. At first I thought it was related to the Messenger update. I don't think it is any more. When I click "work offline," there's no content to view (nothing happens). If I click "Try Again", nothing happens. Even tho I told XP not to bother me with the Messenger update, I still got the message. I also thought it might be some glitch that might go away with a restart, but it didn't.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this annoyance?

TIA

Fred

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: 'Work Offline?' Annoyance (XP SP2)

Routers typically will disconnect you after a period of inactivity. Do you have a router?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Yes, my computer is a laptop that connects to a w'less router that accesses the internet via DSL. Not sure how that helps because:
    - this just started happening a few days ago although my laptop has been "connected" to the router for about 7-8 weeks (we are just getting DSL) - when I'm done on the internet, I turn off the w/less xmtr/rcvr on the laptop, which I've been doing for those 7-8 weeks
    - I don't get the "connection" between the router disconnecting me, if that's what it's doing, and the message.

Fred

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Some program on the PC was connected to the Internet. Then, after a period of inactivity the router disconnects the PC from the Internet. After the disconnection a program tries to access the Internet thus the message.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Your router setup probably has a setting whereby you can connect on demand or keep the connection alive indefinitely. If, as Joe suspects, that some program is accessing the net (but has been idle for some time) and your router is set to "connect on demand", you will get this message. Check your router setup and configure it to keep your connection alive.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hey guys - thanks for the tips. This bothersome message hasn't appeared in a few days now. I'm not sure what program was running at the time this message popped up. As far as the router goes, I haven't checked this but nothing was changed on it when the message first started to appear.

Fred