Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Open Lounge ZIP Files (6.0 SP1)

I have just installed SP4 on W2K and all of the current patches for W2K and IE 6.0. I can no longer open .zip files that are attached to Lounge posts by clicking on them. Instead of getting PKZIP opened when I click on a .zip file, I get another instance of IE that looks like the image below. Is this some new security setting in IE? If I right click on the .zip file and save it to my hard disk and then double click on it, it opens with no problem, so this is not a file association problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Legare Coleman

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't Open Lounge ZIP Files (6.0 SP1)

I don't remember W2K having the "zip files masquerading as folders" interface that exists on WinXP - although what you report does have some superficial resemblance to that.

Do I take that you have checked the Folder Options in Control Panel to make sure that SP4 hasn't changed the default handling of the *.zip file type?

HTH
    Grüße

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

As I said in my original post, I can still double click on .zip files in Windows Explorer and have them open in PKZIP just fine, so I don't see where anything in the default handling has changed. I have also looked and don't see anything that has obviously changed.
    Legare Coleman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What is the setting for "Browse in same window" for .zip files (it should be off)?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It is not checked, and it is not enabled so that it can be checked.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Internet Properties|Security|Trusted Sites|Custom Level|Miscellaneous|Open files based on content, not file extension (most of the way down) - does disabling this (if you want to) change the behaviour? HTH
    Grüße

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I can'f find that option. The list appears to be in alphabetic order and it goes from "Navigate sub-frames across different domains," to "Software channel permissions." The closest thing I could find would be "Launching programs and files in an IFRAME," and changing that does not change anything.
    Legare Coleman

Thanks

That symbol typically signifies a blocked ActiveX control. For example, if you were to launch a ZIP file in the browser from a site in the Restricted Sites zone, you typically would see that symbol. Lounge attachments would be in the Internet zone, unless you have placed them in a different zone.

In Adobe Reader, under Edit>Preferences, you can toggle the ActiveX control on and off under the Internet section, "display PDF in the browser." Does Pkzip have a similar feature? If so, you could deselect that so that ZIP files launch outside of IE. This would work around any blocking of the ActiveX control as a result of your security settings.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't find any option similar to that.
    Legare Coleman

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Installing the latest version of PKZIP appears to have resolved this problem.

Thanks everyone.
    Legare Coleman