Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

WinXP Indexing ON! (XP)

How can I build a Windows Indexing index that catalogues all file content, no ifs ands or buts?

One of those delicious moments in my life when I have a computer lying around with nothing better to do than to start building a searchable index.

My main machine is a laptop, it is in use, I'm using it now.
    My old Big Beige Box, sitting on an XP network, spends the day playing music from a jukebox. I figure that I may as well turn Indexing loose to give Indexing the best possible shot.

The BBB has an 80GB boot drive, an 80GB data drive, and a 400GB backup drive. The 400GB backup drive receives (XCopy) the contents of both the BBB boot drive and the laptop (networked) boot drive.

The 400 GB backup drive would seem a good candidate for indexing. I fancy turning the BBB loose on that drive and over a period of days (weeks?) obtaining a definitive index of files that are on my system. In desperation I can locate a file on the backup drive and reclaim it, either from the backup or from its original source drive.

I've used Wilbur in the past, but it doesn't/didn't maintain the index. I like the idea of Win XP stealthily uprading the (massive) index as soon as the morning backup runs are complete.

For the life of me (WOW, Google Groups, MSN) I can't find a foolproof way of setting up an index that indexes all files, all content, all bytes etc.

This page HOW TO: Create and Configure a Catalog for Indexing has steps I'm following right now, but I note several posts in this forum that suggest to me that not all files will be indexed.

It is too much to anticipate a dead-easy command line such as "Index f: /ALL", I know, ........

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WinXP Indexing ON! (XP)

Have you looked at Google Desktop or one of the other desktop search engines (MSN, Copernic, ...)?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. Yes I did look at Google Desktop about two months ago. Back then I had only the BBB with which to compute, and didn't like the background processing in either WIndexing or GDeskTop.

After reading through Forum posts on WIndexing and the various articles, I figured I'd just soak up some "free processing time" that genuinely wouldn't affect me - the BBB is a different processor - and so was looking for a Quick Start mechanism for Windexing that would suck up everything in its path, guaranteed, all folders, all files, every scrap of binary information, and let me locate it through the WIndex.

As we speak the BBB is churning away, following the instructions provided in the link I gave. I lack confidence that I'm harvesting every scrap .......

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

The indexing service and other Desktop indexing tools need filters to interpret content for various file types such as ZIP, CAB, CHM, etc. If you do not have the filters installed indexing may track the name of the file but certainly won't index the content. See this FAQ for Windows Desktop Search for more information.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, thanks for this. I've saved the link in case I get as bored as the BBB and decide to program my own search. But for now I just want to turn it loose in maximum-effect-for-minimum-labour mode.
    I have the ZIP filters.