New Lounger
    Thanks

Win XP Pro crash (XP pro)

I got a new computer at work in December 2005. It is networked and has XP Pro OS. The machine crashes several times a day - usually when I am accessing or in Excel or Windows Explorer. I get a blue screen saying Windows is shutting down to prevent further damage - mrxdav.sys Page fault in non Paged Area. The message on re-boot refers to C:docume~1owner.000localstempwerf4f.dir00mini01120 6-01.dmp and (same) sysdata.xml. I have had the mother board and memory replaced. I have been told that (1) Microsoft is aware that there is a bug in XP pro and will sell you a fix for US $136 - no guarantee because its Beta (2) this happens if the file path is 260 or more characters (3) the os was not properly installed (4) its probably the hard disk. Several other users on the network with older machines are also experiencing crashes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Win XP Pro crash (XP pro)

Have you actually verified that the MS cost is $136.00? Most specific patches for known bugs are usually not charged a fee.
    I would contact MS to see if this is the case or not.

Also there is some malware that will disguise itself as a mrxdav,sys file. Do a search for the mrxdav,sys file. If you see it in the Win|system32|drivers, folder, it is probably legit but if it is in the WIndows|system32 folder, ( not the drivers folder ) it is probably malware.

Read this link regarding this. MRXDAV
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Try to adjust pagefile size (Control Panel | Performance and Maintenance - in Category view only | System | Advanced | Performance - Settings button | Advanced | Virtual Memory - Change button) to a fixed size of 1.5 times the amount of your memory. Set minimum and maximum to the same number.

If it does not solve your problem, you have a bad driver somewhere, but that may be extremely difficult to locate. Check your Device Manager (Start | Run | type DEVMGMT.MSC and hit Enter) for errors - but I doubt you will see one.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try contacting Microsoft and saying you want the fix described in <!mskb=832143>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 832143<!/mskb>, I don't think they charge for this kind of thing, but if you don't ask you'll never find out!

StuartR