Thread: Links (2003)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Links (2003)

Hi - it's me again. I need to combine a list from Sheet 1 and a list from Sheet 2 into a Sheet 3 - but I need Sheet 3 to be linked to all the entries from both Sheets 1 and 2 so that, if I fill several cells in a row with a color, OR, insert new rows with new data, these changes are reflected on my Sheet 3 combination. I can do it by inserting the data on Sheet 3 into a Word document - but can't make it work in Excel!!! What am I missing?

Thanks again

Aunt Linda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Links (2003)

Can you explain in more detail what you mean by "combine"? What should Sheet3 look like?
    Perhaps you could attach a small demo workbook demonstrating what you want to accomplish.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay - here's a small example. The goal is to be able to, for example, make all the fonts in the completed cells in Row 3 on Sheet 1 green and bold, or to insert new rows and add new students to either Sheet 1 or 2 and have those changes reflected automatically in Sheet 3.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can't you do this in Access? This kind of thing could be done with a union query in Access without much work. In Excel it would require extensive programming.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can, but she can't, and I don't have the time to do it for her. I'll just do the export into Word thing and tell her that's what she's got.

I didn't think this could be easy in Excel - at least I'll have been correct once today!

Thanks, as usual, for all your help.

AuntLinda

Thanks

Why not just keep the combined list and have another column for Grade (11th/12th). and get rid of the separate lists. You can filter to view only the 11th or 12th and format this as desired.

Having one allows much easier use of builtin features (filtering, pivot table summaries, etc).

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Duh! I just thanked the woman who asked ME for help for making me look like an idiot in front of, literally, the WHOLE WORLD - what a logical, simple solution -

Thank you, thank you, thank you from both of us

Auntlinda