Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Cleanse Disk Drive

I would like to donate my old computer to a local school. Prior to doing so I would like to purge the disk of any personal data ie doc, xls and etc. files. I have transferred everything to the new computer so deleting the information on the old computer is not problem. What I would like to do is keep the operating system and other applications in-tack. I just want to be sure that the personal stuff no longer resides on the drive.

Does anyone have a recommendation as how to proceed without wiping out the entire disk and reinstalling the appropriate software?

Thanks,
    John

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cleanse Disk Drive

The short answer is that there is no easy way to remove all personal information from a "gently used" system. Information hides in so many places that you could never be sure that you got it all. Also, your software licenses may or may not be transferrable. Rather than dig through each EULA for the software that is installed, I would think it easier to wipe the disk. Not only is that more secure, the school is almost certain to set it up the way they prefer it regardless of what you do in advance.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And for a few "amens" on Mark's voice, see <!post=this thread,546,943>this thread<!/post>

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It will most likely be quicker to format and reinstall.