2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shapeless Flowchart? (6)

I need to create a simple (or maybe not so simple) way that will allow someone to answer a question, and then based on the answers given provide either another question, or provide a result or answer. I'd like to have the answers appear in a pulldown so that the answers are only limited to what I want them to be. I guess I'd liken it to a shapeless flowchart.

For example, the first set of question would be:

1) Do you like sports? (There would be a pulldown with a selection of "Yes" or "No".)

If the answer is "Yes", then the next question would be:

2) What kind of sports do you like? (There would be a pulldown with a selection of "Baseball", "Football", "Basketball", or "Hockey".

If the answer is "Baseball", then the next question would be:

3) What is your favorite team? (There would be a list of baseball teams in a pulldown)

And the questions would continue as needed. Obviously, if the answers to Question1 above was "No" there would be a different type of question, and if the answer to Question 2 was "Football", the next question would have an "answer" list of football teams.

If it's simple to do, I'd appreciate it if someone pointed me in the right direction. I'm not a real smart feller when it comes to html and web stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shapeless Flowchart? (6)

You're going to need some kind of scripting language - either client side or server side.

Some client side options are Javascript and Flash. Some server side options are ASP.NET, PHP, CGI/Perl, and many others. In almost every instance, the result will require getting your hands dirty with code.

However, there may be some products out there that abstract the code and provide an easy-to-use configurable user interface to accomplish the workflow you desire. You will want to spend some time with Google, searching for "web workflow software" or something like that.

Hope this helps

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shapeless Flowchart? (6)

Another combination of search terms you can use is web survey.