New Lounger
    Thanks

Importing Excel charts and tables (Office 97)

I had a very bad experience with trying to do a report in Word with numerous charts and tables imported from Excel a couple of years ago, and haven't tried again since. I was having all kinds of problems with formatting and with them jumping around on me. Since then we have changed the version of Windows we're using; it's now NT whereas it had been either 95 or 98. Don't know if that makes a difference but thought I'd mention it in case it does.

Ideally I'd like to Paste Link the Excel info so it would be updated automatically with the Excel files. Someone else I know from a discussion group was just mentioning that she's having similar problems. For my purposes I really need to have the Excel info to be updated from time to time, but that's not necessary for her. In looking at this again, I notice that there's a Float over text box. I don't recall deselecting that before and wonder if doing so would be of any help. Any help would be much appreciated.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing Excel charts and tables (Office 97)

One suggestion that I have is when you do the Paste Special, paste it as a link, of course, but paste it as a picture. To me, it seems easier to control the formatting in Word then.
    egghead

New Lounger
    Thanks

Checking the unfloat box will help keep Excel charts from moving around on the page.

We have tried links to Excel and no links. Links are ok if you are the only person using the files, and the location of the files will not change. If you work in a collaborative environment, with many people handling the files, (as I do), links aren't worth all the trouble, since they are dependent on file names staying the same and the location staying the same. In addition, we often are requested to supply electronic files to the customer--an Excel file which has become essentially a Word table does not disclose any unintended information.

An issue bigger than linking/unlinking for us has been all the changes back and forth from portrait to landscape mode, since many Excel sheets require landscape. Many of our Excel experts aren't that familiar with Word, so we created a landscape page (using autotext) which has the headers/footers unlinked and adjusted, and the page numbers set to continuous numbering. This landscape page can be inserted before the Excel chart is pasted in, and makes pasting large worksheets much faster.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What I've done is to use VBA to export charts as gifs when the Excel spreadhseet is updated. The gifs can then be linked into Word. It's even possible to export a section of a spreadsheet as a gif.

I'm doing my reporting on the Web, so I'm also exporting tables as HTML.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.