New Lounger
    Thanks

Propigating Styles (WORD 2002)

I have created MyNormal.dot that contains specific styles, such as MyNotes, that contain special formatting that needs to be consistent across many documents.

I created Doc001.doc, ensuring that in "Tools - Templates and Add-Ins" the MyNormal.dot is referenced as the template, and that Automatically update document styles is checked.

I did the same thing for Doc002.doc through Doc005.doc.

When working with Doc005.doc, I decided that I wanted to slightly modify the style MyNotes. I made sure that the style for MyNotes in the document template was correct.

When I go back to documents Doc001.doc through Doc004.doc and reopen them, I expect that the style for MyNotes will match the revision that I made in the template - - but it doesn't. What am I doing wrong?

So, futher, I wrote a macro that I ran ind Doc001.doc to copy the style from MyNormal.dot into Doc001.doc - - but the formatting still didn't change. Am I further doing something wrong?

Any help will be appreciated, since I'm actually now on document 27, and I need to make sure that the most recent formatting shows in all previous documents.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Propigating Styles (WORD 2002)

Have you actually checked that the definition of the MyNotes style hasn't been updated?

It is possible that text in the documents isn't being updated, if direct formatting has been applied in addition to the paragraph style. You can check this by selecting some paragraphs with the MyNotes style, and pressing Ctrl+Spacebar to remove direct character formatting, and Ctrl+Q to remove direct paragraph formatting.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The MyNotes style in the documents does not seem to have been updated (it shows a font size of 10, where the template now shows a font size of 14); Ctrl+spacebar and Ctrl+Q have no impact.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Strange. Try the following:
    - Select Tools | Templates and Add-Ins...
    - Clear the check box "Automatically update document styles".
    - Click OK.
    - Select Tools | Templates and Add-Ins... again.
    - Tick the check box "Automatically update document styles".
    - Click OK.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your continuing assistance!

I tried that, with and without closing the document between; and with and without closing Word between. It didn't help.

I have found that if I create a new document based on the template and copy the entire text from the old document into the new one the formatting DOES change to match the expected look from the template. So, I guess I do have a solution, even if it is semi-manual. But, as a programmer, I sure like to do it with less manual involvement!

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I wonder if your template is corrupt. The behavior you describe is certainly not normal. To make sure I just tested with one of my own templates, and document styles were updated automatically when the document was opened, or if the setting was off, the moment "Automatically update document styles" was turned on.

New Lounger
    Thanks

"Not normal" is my specialty - Thanks!!

I revised the template (doing some additional clean-up while I was there); renamed it to a new name; attached that to the old document; and (alas) the formatting did NOT change. That leads to the suspcion that the document itself is corrupt in some way, and takes me back to the copy and paste method. I did manage, as a kludge, to automate that, so I think I finally got the result that I wanted and we can call this one closed.

I do appreciate your help and suggestions!

-dave