Thanks

Re: Document Body and Appendixes (Word 2000)

Hi,

Could you edit your post please to put the tags [ pre ] and [ /pre ] around your table. It doesn't make any sense to be because of the character spacing. I will try to do it below but this may not work because what I copied may not be what you typed.
    <pre>Section Ex. Heading Page Number Format Caption Number Format
    Overview Overview ii Overview-1
    1.2 v Overview-2
    Body 1.0 1-1 1-1
    2.5.2 2-10 2-5
    Appendix Appendix A A-1 A-1
    B.2.4 B-3 B-2
    </pre>

I guess we'll see.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

KAJ

Document Body and Appendixes (Word 2000)

** edited Geoff W "pre" tags put into post

I have worked for some time now to create the following document Structure:
    <pre>Section Ex. Heading Page Number Format Caption Number Format
    Overview Overview ii Overview-1
    1.2 v Overview-2
    Body 1.0 1-1 1-1
    2.5.2 2-10 2-5
    Appendix Appendix A A-1 A-1
    B.2.4 B-3 B-2
    </pre>

I am unable to find a combination of List Formats and Paragraph Styles to create the above structure in a single document file.

Does anyone have a suggested approach?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Charles,

I've put the "pre" tags in KAJ's post- but I don't quite understand what is meant myself.

KAJ- can you expand a little more please?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

KAJ

First thanx for the format.

The idea I am trying to express is the creation of a document that has four main parts:
    1. Front Matter (Title Page, TOC, etc.)
    2. A section providing an overview of the document.
    3. The main body of the document.
    4. A set of Appendixes.

Using Header n sytles and outline numbering I can set-up anyone of the sections to number paragraph sections correctly (i.e. 1.2.3), Number the individual pages using chapter-page number format (i.e. 2-2), and Number Figures/Tables using a similar format (i.e. 3-1).

If the section is an appendix then the rather than using numbers for the chapter id (i.e. 2 or 3) the numbering is based on upper case alpha (i.e. A, B, C). The numbering for sections, pages, and figures/tables would be similar.

Also, using the Header n styles I can review the document using Outline mode.

I have been able to crutch this format by using the Header 1-8 styles for the body. I then created seperate Header style clones (ex Header 2 Overview) for the paragraphs in the Overview sections and a similar set for the Appendix (ex Header 2 Appendix). To make the page number work correctly I ended up using the style Header 9 so that Insert Page Numbers could reference the correct Chapter ID. I also had to manually change Styleref reference created by 'Caption' so that the correct figure number in the appendix.

All of this so that the pages would format correctly and the Table of Contents would be populated correctly.

I am trying to get a more streamlined method, preferably using the standard set of Header n styles so that the Outline view will work correctly and the standard formatting features will work.

I have attached an example of the desired result. With this simple example, the main problem is when I changed the outline numbering from numbers to letters (for the Appendix) the original outline numbering was disassociated to the Header n styles.

Hope this clarifies the question.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

See the document Automatic Numbering in Word Documents at my URL below.

Thanks

You may also want to look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/WordsNumberingExplained.htm> Word's Numbering Explained</A> (mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/WordsNumberingExplained.htm) for more background on this.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

You'll want to use Word sections (Insert => Break) along with some fancy page numbering formats. Some suggestions for reference:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/sections.htm>Understanding Headers, Footers, Sections and Section Breaks</A>(http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/sections.htm)
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm>Page Numbering in Word</A> by Bill Coan

Hope these help.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin