Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thunderbird Import settigs from Outlook Express (T

I have shotten myself in the foot and rebuilt WinXP. I'm having problems sending email from Thunderbird (1.0); I can receive email via Thunderbird, which suggests to me that I have an Internet connection, my ISP and external mail-server are alive and well.

Bell Sympatico (Toronto) talked me through the process of setting up Outlook Express (Office 2000) this morning, and we sent/received a test message through Outlook Express to and from Sympatico, so the outgoing server settings are well-known:<pre>Server Name: smtphm.sympatico.ca
    Port: 25
    Use name & password: Checked ON
    UserName: chrisgreaves@sympatico.ca
    Use secure connection: SSL</pre>

I have essayed with typing these settings into Thunderbird, but still cannot send email to the outside world.

Brainwave: Import settings from Outlook Express; good idea but still I can't send email outwards from Thunderbird.

I had all this set up for the past year, working well, until I started hooking up my new laptop to the modem/router over Christmas.
    I reason that since I can send/receive via Outlook Express, the problem isnt "out there", it's within my system.
    I have Windows XP Firewall=OFF
    I have ZoneAlarm installed, and the ZoneAlarm settings for Thunderbird are identical to those for Outlook Express (tick, tick, query, query).
    Even with ZoneAlarm turned off, nothing gets out.

I'd appreciate suggestions to twiddling settings; it can't be all that difficult; I've done this before, but not kept good written notes. I'm particularly curious that Import settings from Outlook Express didn't seem to be effective.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Thunderbird Import settigs from Outlook Expres

I suspect this has something to do with your SMTP settings since it's outgoing that you're having a problem with. Do you have SMTP authentication enabled?
    -Mark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I don't think so; not in Thunderbird.

Here are the two screens for Thunderbird Input and Output SMTP, preceded by the corresponding screen for OutLook Express - which is working.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

TaDa! (attached)
    Brainwave #2: Since I disabled the automated daily first-boot backup at the time I rebuilt the system, the old TBird settigs ought to be on the backup drive, right? Right!
    The old prefs.js talks about "smtp1.sympatico.ca" rather than "smtphm.sympatico.ca". I rename jprefs.js to be jprefs20060119.js and paste in the week-old settings and guess what? It works! I can send an email from Tbird via sympatico (smtp1) to a web-based email account.

I phone Bell, all bubbly and excited, and it rubs off on the tech support. I ask why it works.
    1) smtp1 is an old server that they keep lying around for old farts like me.
    2) smtphm is a great server for Outlook Express people, which is why they could get that to work for me 3 days ago with OE.
    3) The user name cgreaves works even 'tho my real sympatico name is ccgreaves because that is probably how it was set up a year ago. (Huh?)
    4) The NO to SSL works in TBird whereas I have to have YES to SSL in OE because "SSL" in Tbird is probably different from "SSL" in Outlook Express. How silly of me.

I'm ecstatic. I can now communicate by email again.

The moral of the story? [i]BACKUP[i]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (43.3 KB, 1 views)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chris,
    You have solved your predicament for now. However, if you continue to use your ISP's O.F. server you may have problems in the future. Should that server go the way of all 386 computers, you might check on your User Name setting on the SMTP page. That "User Name" field needs to have your whole YourName@YourMail.com address. Might give that a try and you could possibly move into the 21st century.

Hope this helps.

Errol

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> That "User Name" field needs to have your whole

Thanks Errol; I made the change, reloaded TBird and managed to send mail with the full-name setting.

This week I have to take a deep breath, record my settings, and then try setting up the email account for the ISP. (ccgreaves@sympatico). Apparently that's where they'll warn me if they decide to take down the server.