3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

iras problems after sp2 (win xp sp2)

My company has just upgraded us to WIn xp sp2. Before the upgrade I could take my laptop home, connect it to my wired cable service without any problems. I could get to the internet and iras to get to the company servers.
    After the upgrade, I cannot get to the internet, no iras, no email except through web access. Nobody seems to know what is going on. Some collegues have the same problem, others do not.
    I am puzzled and frutstrated.
    Does anyone have any idea what could cause this?
    I have not made any changes on my home system - all computers work fine.

Thanks for any help!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: iras problems after sp2 (win xp sp2)

You are going to have to help us here, with a bit more information.

"I cannot get to the internet, no iras, no email except through web access." seems a bit contradictory. If you cannot get to the internet then how on earth do you get email through web access.

Let's start with a few simple questions, depending on your answers I may move this post to the networking forum.
    <UL><LI>Does the laptop work correctly at work?
    <LI>Can you describe your home network, what routers/firewalls/switches/modems etc. Any other PCs?
    <LI>Do you know if the laptop is configured to use DHCP or a hard coded address?
    <LI>What output do you get if you connect the PC to the home network and type IPCONFIG into a command prompt?[/list]StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply.
    I get OWA on my home computers - that way I can get to my work email without having my work computer with me. Sorry - should have made that clear.
    My laptop works fine at work. I tested the wireless with iras here and have no problems.
    At home, I have a linksys router with 4 connections. My ISP is Time Warner with a wired cable modem. I am using Symantec's firewall with win xp firewall turned off. I connect two or three other computers without any trouble including a dell 610 laptop. We use dell d600s at work.
    I have not tried to ipconfig my Dell at home, only here at work.
    With regards to the DHCP question, I have found that under TCP/IP properties, it shows a DCHP server address, under general properties of the LAN, ist says 'obtain IP address automatically'. Not sure if I have answered your question.
    Thank you!

itconc

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's enough to confirm that this thread belongs in the Networking forum, so I will move it as soon as I have posted this reply.

I am travelling at the moment, and about to go out to eat. I may not get to offer a considered response for a couple of days - so if anyone else wants to step in feel free.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I havve come up with the answer. The problem came from having installed Norton Internet Security on my server at home. I un-installed Norton and instead installed AVG as a anitvirus and zone alarm as a fire wall. All is fine now. My work laptop is happy again.
    Thanks for all your help.

itconc

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for letting us know, we always appreciate updates so we can learn from things we couldn't resolve!

StuartR