Thanks

assign currency notation (Excel 2003)

I am creating a generic financial model and so can't assume USD. I found a list of countries-to-currency at http://www.aquariussoft.com/link-currency-...cynotation.aspx and used it with a VLOOKUP to fetch the selected country's currency identifier (if that's the right term, I don't know). This works well but I need to figure out how (without VBA) to attach that ID to rows of calculated currrencies.

So if they picked "Malaysia Ringgets" which is MYR, how can I write a formula such that the cost (for example) shows as "MYR 1200". Should I just concatenate this name to all currency cells or is there a better way (there are many, many rows of currency data so I'd like to avoid that). I do see that these currency names are listed in the Currency formatting but I don't think I can assign them w/o VBA.

Maybe it'd be easier to just prefix any currency row with "MYR" like

<pre> Y2006 Y2007 Y2008 Y2009 Y2010
    MYR 500 1200 1800 2100 2500</pre>

It's certainly easier for me but you can think of another way? If I just do the above, do you think this clear enough to the user (instead of "MYR" in every field)?

Thnx,
    Deb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: assign currency notation (Excel 2003)

I would use the latter option; it should be clear enough.

Thanks

Re: assign currency notation (Excel 2003)

Yes, I tend to agree. I wasn't looking forward to re-doing many 100's of rows of formulas that are already in place to prefix them with the select currency identifier. I ended up re-formatting the currency cells to "Currency" format but with no symbol and then adding a formula that points to the selected currency ID (saved as a named variable) directly to the left of the row as I showed in my post.

At least in this model, I don't have to deal with currency conversions as the users will be using it only in their own country, not sending it to someone else.

Thnx,
    Deb